Bok Choy Drooling again

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siylvat

For those of you who may not remember. One of our boys had some teeth issues. He had his teeth filed in May, he seemed fine for a while, but I just discovered when taking him out for playtime that he is drooling again. I had been hopeful because he started to eat alot of hay (which he had never liked before) and also started taking rosehips and chewing on wood (both of which he was not a big fan of before).

I am going to call a different vet tomorrow. Last time we took him all the way out to Saratoga Springs, and while I liked the vet, it was a very long drive (it took us almost 3 hours). I have been wanting to check out a new vet around here. She studied on several exotic rotations at Cornell, and studied under Dr. Morrisey (anyone heard of him?).

Two months is way too short between filings right? And not good to do that often.

I have a chin that has a case of malo, too and goes in every few months for incisor trimmings and to have points taken off her molars ( if necessary ) And recently she started drooling again, but when I took her into the vet, all that was wrong is that she had some food stuck behind her molars. Hopefully it will be nothing more than something like that!

Herby will be keeping her chinny paws crossed for Bok Choy!:)

It depends on the chin. I have seen some chins need filings once a month, while others once a year.

Yeah, I'm just worried that two months is too short. It took him at least 3 weeks to even start eating on his own again the first time.

4-8 weeks depending on the degree of malo-teeth grow 1-3mm a week so if the teeth are really tipped in or outward then they will touch the tongue and cheek in that amount if time easily.

Was that his first filing? If so then have him filed again and see how long it takes. The quality of the filing is very important-some vets are hacks and that causes the chin to have to go more often. My vet dentist can file the worst malo chin and get the teeth to the point that the chin only needs to go every 8 weeks with a short recovery time where the previous vet the chin needed to go every 4 weeks.

My take on filing is this-if the chin recovers in a few days and resumes being a chin the chin will get filed until something changes, if the chin is not recovering and the next filing date is due then I make the decision to put the chin down. This is after dealing with many malo chins and bad decisions its how I deal with it now,

I had Richie's teeth filed last June and then had to do it again in August but have not had to do it since then. And have had no drooling since. Bok Choy may need another one and then hopefully be good for a while.
I dont remember if you got xrays the first time, but it may be good to get them again and compare.

We took him in this morning. I really liked this vet, she is not far out of school, so she does not have a ton of experience, but all of her chin knowledge was spot on, as far as I could tell. She found a few points, and filed them down. She said a point had created a sore on the inside of his cheek, which was most likely what was making him drool. She also said that his roots looked good from the X-ray. which is good news.

So for now we will see how he does. He is very wobbly at the moment, and we have him in a small cage to keep an eye on his intake/outtake.

Some chins are wusses, a little point and they become drama queens. Dante is like that, the dentist barely finds anything to file but he drools like crazy and won't eat at all on his own-after the filing, he gets home, dries up and pigs out.

Some chins are wusses, a little point and they become drama queens.
Yeah, he is definitely NOT happy at the moment. I am hoping the metacam will perk him up a little.

I have a question: How long does the effects of the anesthesia take to wear off? He was given the inject-able kind this time. He was given it like around 11 this morning, and he is still a little wobbly. It didn't take nearly this long last time, but he was given the gas last time.

I saw him eat one pellet, but other than that, he has just wanted to veg out.

Last edited:
I don't know about the anethesia as I have only had the breathable (or whatever it is) and my chin bounces right out of it BUT did she give you an antibiotic for the sore in his mouth. Usually they prescribe the TriMethSulfa (the pink stuff). If not, you should ask her to prescribe, it will help clear up any infection that may occur.

Usually they prescribe the TriMethSulfa (the pink stuff). If not, you should ask her to prescribe, it will help clear up any infection that may occur.

Yep, we got some of that. He is looking a little better now. I just saw him go and get a drink of water, and I think he ate one or two more pellets. Right now he is sitting on top of his little house.

When do you guys think I should let him dust? He is really greasy from being handled today, especially around his eyes for some reason. And he keeps trying to roll on top of his house.

Yep, we got some of that. He is looking a little better now. I just saw him go and get a drink of water, and I think he ate one or two more pellets. Right now he is sitting on top of his little house.

When do you guys think I should let him dust? He is really greasy from being handled today, especially around his eyes for some reason. And he keeps trying to roll on top of his house.

The vet uses a eye gel to keep the eyes moist during the procedure. He can dust, I usually leave the dust bath in the cage for a hour or so after they get home from the vet-they really hate vet cooties and it makes them feel better to get repeated baths.

Next time if there is one request gas Isoflourane or Sevoflourane, my dentist uses the Sevoflourane and they bounce back faster than the Isoflourane. Due to the chins size and fragility of the veins IV sedation is not recommended and chins do not do well afterward.

He seems better today. This morning we had him out and let him run around a little, and he seemed very perky. But now all he wants to do right now is sit in his house and be a grump. He looks sleepy. Though, I guess this is the time he normally sleeps.

He was into his pellets a good amount last night, which I am happy about.

I cannot get him to dust though. He wants to roll on top of his house, and on my sheets, but not in the dust. He is a weird chin though, I don't think I have ever seen him do more than one spin in the dust. Maybe he is shy about it.

Back