blood everywhere!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suzi, call around and ask. Save yourself some traveling :)

As already mentioned, if you have a farm/home store nearby, call and ask them. I know the local tractor supply company, and family, farm and home stores both have it. Its often cheaper at those than it is at walgreens or other human pharmacies, and its the same stuff!

found bag balm at CVS, sadly the only farm supply store near me went bankrupt. I was out running errands most of the day so it worked out. I put some blue kote on her and I will put on the bag balm when my boyfriend gets home and can help me. Is it okay for her to have a bath tomorrow (it is the chins normal bath day) or should I wait a few more days?

Thanks again everyone

Last edited:
I have had this happen to one of my chins. His cage consists mostly of wood ledges and one foot dried out. Just kept the crack cleaned and applied a generic antibiotic cream for a few days. Just a very thin layer. Threw in some fleece to rest on.

Imo I would wait a bit for a dust bath. Let the crack soften up and scab over. Won't hurt them to have a greasy look for a few days. I also want to mention we have our heat turned on here in Richmond for the evening. That also dries the air out. If you have any lava ledges you may want to pull those out for a while as well.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give everyone an update that Mitzie is doing well :) I have been putting blue kote and bag balm on her feet and they are looking good (and blue!)

That's great to hear! Just keep her feet clean, lotion them up, and 'kote em up, and keep the cage clean and she will be just fine! :)
When it happened to my girl she acted like it never actually did!

Latest posts

Back