blood everywhere!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1780

I walked into the chin room this morning and discovered blood all over Maddie and Mitzie's cage. I took both girls out and gave them I look over and could not find anything wrong. I even took them both into the bathroom and had them hop around, I also checked their mouths but I still don't see anything wrong. Should I just take them both into the vet's office?

they are both acting normal. Mitize was bouncing off the walls in the bathroom. No chance of pregnancy, I only have females in my house

Check their feet. If the are dry and cracked that could be the source. Also look at their toes. I had one cut herself on a chiller and she tracked blood everywhere. The cut was between her toes and hard to find.

Picture186.jpg

Picture183.jpg

Picture184.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture187.jpg

just checked their feet, I don't see any blood on Maddie's feet but I do on Mitzie's. It looks like her left hind food could have cut, it is not bleeding now. I am going to try and get a pic but my camera is on it's last bit of battery

That is scary Suzi. I hope you find the cause of the blood. Lady cut her paw and I found blood all over the cage a few months ago. But it wasn't that much. That's my only experience with mystery blood. Have you tried palpating their abodomens and seeing if anything comes out of the vaginal area?

To me it looks as tho her right 'heel' might have a little gash in it. One of my girls ghost actually cut her foot one night and left blood every where in a similar fashion, I saline wound washes her foot, put a bit of polysporin on it, and put a tiny layer of liquid bandage just to make sure she doesn't get any thing ramed into the cut... Would have used blukote but didn't have any on hand at the time.

Her feet look pretty dry too, like my Miette's. Do they have lots of soft things to rest on? My vet worried that her dry feet would crack and bleed like that, maybe that's what it is?

Wow, that is so scary, I'm sorry. I'm not sure but it also looks like to me that it's starting to look a little like bumblefoot? I'm not sure though. I'm going to search a few threads now...

Thank you everyone for your help. When I saw all of that blood, I was sure I was going to find a dead chinchilla :(

They have soft places. I use fleece liners, and they have a tube.

I have blue kote on hand, but I don't think I have bag balm, I can pick some up today. But would bag balm be okay to put on it at this stage, or should I wait a few days?

Last edited:
I would do an epsom salt soak for 30 seconds or so, then apply neosporin. The soak will kill germs and remove debris, and the neosporin will help it heal and moisturize.

I was able to find Bag Balm at my local Walmart. Not sure if a petstore like Petsmart will carry it.

Latest posts

Back