Blizzard

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel horrible for the homeless people (and animals) running around Boston, Chicago, etc. in this nastiness. Remember to check on your shut-in neighbors and any animals you know are usually outside/chained to a dog house/in a barn. This kind of weather is dangerous.

As much as I hate winter weather, I have to agree that it is even tougher for the animals and homeless. I am warm and dry inside my house, and I hate to think of how terrible it is for anyone/anything outdoors. :(

I always think of the homeless, every winter, and all the animals. I can't help but thinkin of them since I'm a constant state of worry about my horses being outside. I can't imagine having to live outside this winter.

My mom lives in eastern Iowa and the drifts are up to her window sills. Both of her doors ( front and back ) were drifted over. She had to push the door with her legs and then squeeze out the front door to get out. Said her roof was clear.

My dad lives in western Illinois in the QC and he said the drift to his father in laws home was three feet. Took him two hours with a snow blower to clear it. Said he had a three foot drift all along the back side of his own roof. His home is quite old and the rafters and beams can hold that load as they are in excess of code. So..............

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR ROOFS AND CLEAR IT OFF!!!!! The blizzard of 1979 had the same drift on our roof. My dad made my brother and I get up there with him and scrape it off. When we finished he allowed us to jump off the second story roof line to the pile below. That was just all kinds of crazy!!

Glad I live in Virginia. A blizzard here in this area is quite rare.
The grocery store is looking bare since out of state sources cannot make it here. And UPS has given us a notice we will have serious delays of products shipped to us. And the airport here says to expect serious cancellations.

Last edited:
DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR ROOFS AND CLEAR IT OFF!!!!!

Yep. Thank god for 20' snow rakes!! I saw one of my neighbors on her roof with a regular shovel and all I could think of was at least it she fell, it's be a soft fall onto snow.

I always think about the animals too. Probably more so than people, actually. My neighbors let their cat out everyday and I am always tempted to call from school (I don't live next to them anymore) and be like "Is Mittens inside?!!?" but I think I would just be paranoid and freak them out. Many people at least can try to seek shelter, they can go to a police station or a hospital but animals don't know there are rescues out there for them. I also feel bad for the homeless people who are not mentally aware enough to actually go help themselves in those cases.

Back