Best Travel Cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the one's from JP Chinchillas. They are a lot like Ryerson carriers, but have better latches on them that don't pop open with too much use.

I also have some carriers here that I love, but can't think of where Alecia got them. They are all open wire, except between the actual compartments and are a bit larger than the plain metal carriers. If she pops on, hopefully she'll see this and be able to tell you who made them.

Pegs, are you talking about the carriers you brought to Nationals, with the big hanging toys in them? If so, I really like those too..and would love to know where Alecia got them.

I love my JP Chinchillas carrier. She had it to me within the week I ordered it as well. Very reasonable and incredibly made.

The Quality Cage ones aren't bad either. The only potential issue is that they open from the top and it's just one big "lid" - so if you're trying to manage multiple feisty chins, it may be tricky as you can't close them in individually.

The Quality Cage ones aren't bad either. The only potential issue is that they open from the top and it's just one big "lid" - so if you're trying to manage multiple feisty chins, it may be tricky as you can't close them in individually.

I have one of those too, and the one thing I don't like about it is that handles don't meet in the middle at the top to hold the cage securely. But overall, it is a good cage.

Jean

carriers

Ryersons carriers are nice& they ship quick.Also I have carrier/show cage waterers available.
Bob
Colorado Branch of Empress Chinchilla

Those would be the ones Stack. I will send her an email and ask where she got them from. I think I asked her before, but I have forgotten where it was now.

Does anyone have contact info for JP Chinchillas other than the email on her site? Still haven't heard back and I'm running out of time. The cages will only be used for one flight, so money is an issue. I have small carriers for them for short trips in case of emergencies, just worried about chewing for the long travel time.

Travel cages or carriers? The QC carrier is 2 x individual top openings with a 1" T bar so no chin can lose a toe by sticking it in the other side. They are working on adding an attachmaent to help secure the unit with a seatbelt. I may be partial, but those were designed by Guy for me as evacuation carriers for fostered/rescued chins. I also have small travel cage that can be set up if we find the room. They have room for a wheel, too.

I have seen the JP carriers. I am not a fan of having a lot of rivets in 2 rows sticking up inside the compartment. There is no way I would ever put a chin inside and do more than walk with it.

Travel cages or carriers? The QC carrier is 2 x individual top openings with a 1" T bar so no chin can lose a toe by sticking it in the other side. They are working on adding an attachmaent to help secure the unit with a seatbelt. I may be partial, but those were designed by Guy for me as evacuation carriers for fostered/rescued chins. I also have small travel cage that can be set up if we find the room. They have room for a wheel, too.

I have seen the JP carriers. I am not a fan of having a lot of rivets in 2 rows sticking up inside the compartment. There is no way I would ever put a chin inside and do more than walk with it.

Glad to hear about that before I got them for my boys. I just spoke with QC, so I'll probably go with them(BTW QC Mansions are the BEST!) This is just for a one time flight so $$ might be an issue(As well as time). Just in case, how are the Ryerson 2 hole carriers for flights. The price is right, but usually you do get what you pay for.

quick question: can i transport a chin in a large cardboard box, if the ride is only like 20-30 mins? this is ofcourse with someone hold the box making sure she doesn't eat her way through. any other cheap options?
thanks
btw i'm new! getting my chin in a few weeks.

If it was an emergency and I didn't have a carrier on hand I wouldn't hesitate to put one in a box. However, you are going to need a carrier at some point for something so you might as well get one now before you need it. Your home may catch fire, or you may need to take him to the vet, who knows what can happen, that a box will not do.

None of my carriers have anything sticking on the inside. Are you sure you are talking about a JP Carrier? I hardly think people would purchase those for show carriers if they had rivets sticking out on the inside. If they were in danger of damaging the chin or ripping the fur out, they would hardly be recommended and used by people who show. They are also approved shipping containers. They have to be inspected before they can be approved.

I have both Ryersons and JPChinchillas. Neither one of them have ANY rivets sticking out on the inside that could even remotely touch a chin. The only difference in them is the latches, and I think the ones from JPChinchillas are stronger. The latches on the Ryerson's cages spring open all the time if they are bumped, the one's from JPChinchillas do not. You have to request the spring type though. If I was going to ship, I would want a more secure latch than what they provide.

As far as "just carrying them around", I would rather have my chins in a smaller contained area where I know they are safe than in a bigger pet carrier that makes the owner feel good, but is a danger to the chin, whether it be by escaping or by the animal being slammed around the carrier if you had to break suddenly when transporting to the vet.

Back