Best solution to cleaning pee off Quality Cage wires

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjudes

7 Chins, 1 Cat, & an Andy
It seems that some of my ladies are developing a bad habit as they are getting older. They seem to like to pee on the corners of their shelves which is resulting in the pee sliding down the cage wires. Is there an easy and safe way to clean this?

Vinegar is the best for getting pee off of just about anything. You can mix up a 50/50 solution with water in a spray bottle, or even just use straight vinegar on trouble spots. For the bars I would soak a rag in vinegar and hold it on the bars for a bit before trying to scrub them. We have a grill brush that works wonders on cage bars.

You might also try peroxide as well. One of my boys also pees on the corners and pee runs down that bars, I scrub his bars down with peroxide.

Never thought about using a scrub brush though. I might have to try that one. Some spots are hard to reach.

You might also try peroxide as well. One of my boys also pees on the corners and pee runs down that bars, I scrub his bars down with peroxide.

I use peroxide for most chin stuff. Any new metals get scrubbed with diluted peroxide before going near the chins. If you dillute it make sure you either keep it in a dark bottle like the brown plastic peroxide normally comes in, or keep it in the dark. Light will decompose peroxide so it wont work as well (it has to do with molecule stability and all that nasty chemistry stuff).

I have a crazy question when you use vinegar or peroxide do you then rinse the area? I use the 1/2 vinegar/water solution and rinse and let the sun dry the cage. If I don't have to rinse that would save me alot of time.

When I mix the vinegar 50/50 with water, I don't rinse. If I use straight vinegar, then I rinse. I usually use a 50/50 mix for wiping down the cage and Bass pan and the straight stuff for litter pans (usually let them soak while I wipe down the rest of the cage and just have to give them a quick rinse).

I take them out and hose them. The water removes almost all of the urine build up. Then srub what's left with just plain water.

Thanks. I only have one cage where the 3 girls make a mess with urine. This is the only cage out of 25 that is bad. I have 5 extra pans so those I wash with soap, vinegar, rinse and sun dry those then wait to do the next set of cages.

Back