Best online source for hay and pellets??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my3esses

I can't find anything local except kaytee and oxbow. Use oxbow because I read that was the better of the 2 but my chin doesn't seem to like it much. She hardly eats any hay and usually dumps the pellets so I can't tell how much she's eating. I'd like to find a place to order online but not in huge quantities. Any recommendations?

What pellets do you feed? We sell Mazuri and Purina Rabbit Chow Show (purchased in bulk and then we package it in 10 lb. portions) and Oxbow (in 10 lb. bags from Oxbow). We also have American Pet Diner hay. They ship it direct from their facility when you place an order on our site.

I buy all of my hay from KMS Kleenmama. They have a few hays to choose from, pending the season. My chins have always loved their hay. As for pellets, it depends on which type you feed. A lot of our vendors here have a variety.

Try your local feed stores instead of pet stores. Many feed rabbit pellets. We are using nutrena. Purina and manna pro are other popular ones. We used kent in the past which was a small kent product specific feed store in my hometown but since we sold the rabbits I was keeping on my mom's farm we don't get there anymore to buy pellets. As for hay you really can't beat kmshayloft. We just got 10lbs of bluegrass. Hay is good for at least a year if kept out of light and moisture and 10lbs doesn't take up much space. You can also find oxbow on various websites since you can no longer order from them directly. I think we last got it from fosterandsmith.

Try your local feed stores instead of pet stores. Many feed rabbit pellets. We are using nutrena. Purina and manna pro are other popular ones. We used kent in the past which was a small kent product specific feed store in my hometown but since we sold the rabbits I was keeping on my mom's farm we don't get there anymore to buy pellets. As for hay you really can't beat kmshayloft. We just got 10lbs of bluegrass. Hay is good for at least a year if kept out of light and moisture and 10lbs doesn't take up much space. You can also find oxbow on various websites since you can no longer order from them directly. I think we last got it from fosterandsmith.

called the 2 feed stores I could find through google and neither carry rabbit/chinchilla stuff - only horse stuff. We are in a very suburban/city area - not much need for feed stores.

I feel like she's not eating much hay or pellets and was hoping to find better quality stuff online since I can't get it locally.

Really look into Kleenmama for hay. As for pellets, there are a few vendors in our classifieds area that sell Tradition, Mazuri, etc. I can ship you some Manna Pro Sho if you're interested. It just depends on what you want to try.

If there is a Tractor Supply located near you, check with them to see if they carry bales of Standlee Timothy Hay. You will get a lot of hay for your money (if it's too much you can always donate much of it to a chinchilla or rabbit rescue), and the bale is small enough that it fits in a large tote. It's the best quality hay I have ever purchased. I used to purchase Oxbow, but even this last 50 lbs. I got was crappy. I was at Tractor Supply getting my chin food, and saw that they now started carrying the Standlee Timothy (mine used to only carry the alfalfa). Tried it, and the rest is history. Very little waste from the chins, and while the $19 a bale is expensive in comparison to other bales (though a whole lot cheaper than buying hay by the bag), the chins love it.

FYI- I have uber picky chins that pretty much waste most hay that I buy. :p Not the Standlee!

Back