Best Hay For Chins - Question...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

grace

Again, ALL ! Thank You for your support and feedback !
Question.... I have always believed NO QUESTION is to silly to ask - No matter the situation - So, here is mine ... I have been feeding OxBow Western Timothy Hay as well as Orchard Grass (Both highly recommended for chins) - I read that both Have crude protien 7.0%, Crude fat min 1.5%, Crude fiber max 32.0% (Moisture in Orchard Grass being 12.0% , OxBow moisture being 15.0% - So for my question - What really is the difference between the two ? Also, What about fine coastal hay ? Perhaps I am comparing apples to aardvarks here :) I am just curious. Please be kind... As I am new :) Finest, Sincerely, Grace
PS- Hello From my chin kids, Lilman, Kayley, Skittles, And Timothy (Short for Timothy Hay), Last two named by my grandson :)

I think most people suggest Oxbow. I wouldn't look too far into the numbers, since chinchillas pretty good at regulating their food intake. The difference between the two? suppose they are different species of grass, and I usually just go by the timothy/alfalfa grouping that (again) most people suggest (one as hay, the other as pellet).

Never heard of coastal hay. Personally, I mix in a small bag of Oxbow botanical hay with the large bag of timothy hay.

Both orchard grass and timothy hay are good for chins.
Second cut timothy hay is usually higher in minerals than orchard grass. First cut timothy is coarser (has more stems and less leaves), higher in fiber, contains less calcium than second cut.
Orchard grass is sweeter, some orchard grass has very coarse leaves. This is good for wearing teeth down. I like to offer different types, it encourages chins to et more hay. And I want my chins to get different textures for teeth health. Oxbow organic meadow hay is a great hay too, flavorful and texture is different.
Just to compare some hays (results may vary depending on a season, hays tested here are 2008 hays)
American pet diner second cut timothy:
CALCIUM (Ca),% 0.65

MAGNESIUM (Mg),% 0.34

IRON,ppm 164.00

American pet diner orchard grass:
CALCIUM (Ca),% 0.38

MAGNESIUM (Mg),% 0.29

IRON,ppm 140.00

Oxbow timothy:
CALCIUM (Ca),% 0.49

MAGNESIUM (Mg),% 0.23

IRON,ppm 117.00

Thank You Fiercediety For getting back to me ! As i wrote, I feed both Timothy and Orchard Grass - As recommended - Just curious about Coastal (Staple in the south for horses :) Don't Come Down hard on me now, as i was born in Ohio ! :) I have put in a question to an Oxbow Timothy hay web site - Just because I am curious as to the different nutrient values of different hay types.
Again, Thank You ! Grace

Dear Tanya, Thank You ! Thank You !
As I am just getting back into chins after many years(Much Has Changed) - I want to educate myself, Better for my Chins ! :)
I VERY much thank you for all your info !!! - Have you heard of Coastal hay ? Nutrional Value ? It is not a super important question, I am just curious, And would like to compare "The numbers" against Timothy and Orchard Hay/Grass.
Thank You for your time, Grace

Any grass hay can be interchangeable in the chin diet, so both timothy and orchard are just fine. Coastal bermuda is also a grass hay, and acceptable for them. When I moved down to Florida, it was really hard to find timothy at first, and everything around here was mostly bermuda, so we were feeding the chins that. They did eat it, but not as much as I would have liked, so I switched back to feeding them a timothy/orchard mix, even if I had to pay a bit more for it. While oxbow is a great brand, I go through too much hay to just buy it in those little bags, so we get our hay by the bale from a feed store. I think the best way to go would be to find a grass hay that they like and eat, and just stick to it.

My chin (as well as our two bunnies and four guinea pigs) all enjoy Oxbow :) Well, the piggies enjoy it too much... lol we were buying the 9 lbs boxes and those only lasted a month at best. Now we buy the 50 lbs boxes, and are fortunate enough to have a local pet supply chain that carries them so we don't have to worry about shipping!

Don't understand much about the numbers myself, but most everyone does use Timothy as their main hay, and Oxbow is a good brand to get. You can still use the these other hays/grasses because each one is of different texture and therefore the chin will chew them all differently, helping to keep the back teeth trimmed down.

Timothy
Orchard
Broome
Oat
Oat, Wheat and Barley
Meadow
Botanical

I use oxbow as well, but I also throw a handful of Kaytee Timothy Plus in with it. They have one kind with mint added and another with marigold. They really seem to like the marigold. They have a few others that I haven't tried yet, but it's a neat idea.

First, I am sorry for my late "Thank You", as I have been having an argument with my computer tonight... :)
To Tanya, Silverrose, Lessthansign3, Jmdebb, Powderr, And Fiercedietylink1, THANK YOU !
I Really Appreciate Your Time And Knowledge.
As I have written, I have not had chins for many years - However, my curiosity and enthusiasm has not diminished -
And, Yes ! I do appreciate the "Numbers" ! :)
When I first had Chinchillas (Back in the dark ages :)(35 years ago) All I Had to feed was "Chin Chow" by Purina - No mention of hay ! (Please do not choke on a piece of shredded wheat or apple twig :)
Many Stories, however, my male standard, Masti, Moved with my family from Akron Ohio,Then Minn, Then To Kansas - Back up to Ohio - Lived 18 years (Forgive me as I look back).
Again, I just want to say thank you, I truly appreciate you all ! Grace

Back