Best Escape Story!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diva Chins

I want to hear some escape stories about some cute chins who have managed to escape from their cages and/or playtime area.
My most recent 'funny', which wasn't so 'funny' to me was when the girls escaped their cages and I didn't hear anything until about...5-10 minutes afterwards when I heard a rustling noise at the chin station, only to see that Aiko had climbed up onto the second shelf and began digging around in the wood chew box and gnawing happily. Rini was simply pouncing around under my bed, having herself a good time rolling in the excess bath I hadn't got a chance to clean up yet (It was dust bath day and I was exhausted.) All I had to do was pick up Rini, but Aiko didn't want to be seperated from her precious new chewies, and refused to go back into her cage til I put some of the new ones in with her.
So, what is your favorite escape story of your little Houdini?

When I first got Hash she had a cage with an openable top. Well, I apparently wasn't closing it right, so for the longest time, she would get out and I'd have no clue how she was doing it. She'd do it mainly at night, and stay in my room, usually hanging out on my pillow, waking me up so I could put her back in the cage. We finally figured out how she was getting out the one day when my cousin caught her sneaking out through the hole.

I had an enclosed area for Binx to run around it sort of like a playpen. There was a part where he could hop onto a cardboard box and get out, but I'd always nudge him off of it. He'd stare at it for like a minute then BOLT up to the top and jump, hoping to be freed. I would always block him and he got tired of doing this.

I took the cardboard box that he could jump on out and when I was putting it away, he got out and under my dresser. No big deal, right? I got his dust bath and held it by the dresser. He'd see it, think about it, and run back under it. I couldn't believe it. It was the first time I'd seen him resist the powers of a dust bath.

For a good 10 minutes he would run back out and run back in, almost taunting me. I finally ended up luring him out with oats and put him back into his cage, but it just amazes me at how smart they can be!

My fiance was letting Spooky out for playtime in our old house, which had a ton of holes etc cause it was old. I made a makeshift board thingie to put in front of the closet so Spooky wouldn't get under the door (it was crooked so there was a big gap at one end). So of course he not only forgot to put the wood up, but didn't close the closet at all. Little did we know there was a giant hole in the closet floor that Spooky managed to dart into when he turned around for a second. I come back into the room and he is frantically looking for her all over. I started flipping out saying she must have gotten in the closet and we looked and discovered the big hole.

We were terrified that she was in the walls in an old house and wouldn't be able to find her way out, or had fallen or gotten stuck. We ended up finding her in the basement 2 floors below us. I don't know how she managed to get there safely, but my fiance opened the door to the basement and there she was just sitting on the stairs looking confused. A chase ensued, and he finally got her back upstairs and I gave him a screaming lecture on making sure all closets/doors/holes are blocked up.

So glad we moved out of there, it almost gave me a heart attack!

Okay this is the scariest chin escape I've had. I adopted Athena when she was 8 weeks old. She was so tiny! I didn't have a baby proof cage so I had gone out and picked up some items to make it baby proof. Because she was in Quarantine, she was in my bedroom. The chin room is kept closed up so none of my other pets bother the chins.

I didn't cover one spot on the cage where I would open the cage door. So I got her home and she was such a small little thing! I put a hidey house in her cage and she liked hiding in there.

I had brought my camera in the room to get a pic of her in her house. I just reached down pointed the camera at the opening and took the pic. Imagine my surprise when I took the camera out and all I had was a pic of an empty hidey house. She wasn't there.

She wasn't in her cage at all! The cat jumped up on my bed from the other side and I didn't have a good feeling. So I leaned down and looked under the bed. I saw two ears moving around! Thank Goodness the cat hadn't killed her.

I threw the cat out of the room closed the bedroom door and opend the lower cage door. It wasn't long before Athena decided to hop back into her cage. I covered the small spot that wasn't baby proofed and no more houdini incidents happened after that.

Since I was buying a lot of used cages, I deceided to put 2 together and get one 24w x 24d x 48h since they both had 1 x 1 spacing. The upper sides wrapped around about 3 inches leaving a 18 x 18 area I covered with some 1 x 2 material, thinking they couldn't reach it - kits couldn't get out!
Well, due to a baby boom all at once, all 7 of my "baby-proof" cages were needed, so I put a 2 wk. old kit and mother, back in there with the father, watched for a while [no problems] and went on to clean cages, checking every so often.
That evening I went in the room to give treats, and the kit was gone! Looked down, and he was right there, so I put him back in. Now, he was too big to get through the 1 x 1 spacing [90 grams] and since the cage was on top of a 4 ft. home made cage, I forgot about the top spacing, and figured he got out of the spring-loaded door, and tightened that up!
Next day, he's gone again! Looked all over - no trace, anywhere! Phone rings, I'm out of the room for half-hour, come back, and he's looking at me with [I swear] a smile on his face, BACK IN THE CAGE!
I then remember the top, pull the cage down, and fasten more material the other way, [criss-crossing it] and never had another problem!
They can be smart little buggers when it's time to escape!

When I clean cages, I'll usually let the boys out to romp around while I'm cleaning, but on this particular cage cleaning day, I couldn't let Gideon out of his cage while I cleaned because Cheeko was already out playing and they had not had a successful introduction at that point. Gideon is ALWAYS right at the door when he sees me coming...he just wants OUT!! I opened the doors to sweep out his cage and trying my hardest to keep him away from the door...yeah right!

Anyway, he continuously tried to get close enought to the door to leap out, but I won the match!! So, he decided to sit quietly on the highest ledge in his cage. The next thing I know, he's surfing around the inside of the cage walls, surfs right off the top of my head and out he went!! :rolleyes: He's a fast little buggar and VERY determined!

Back