Best cities to visit in winter on college student budget?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

I want to take my mom for a small vacation somewhere within 10 hours of Northern VA. I'm a college student on a budget, looking to keep the hotel room to no more than $70/night, looking to go for 3 nights. I won't want a crap hotel but I realize I'm not going to get super nice either with my budget. Preferably somewhere south or west of VA, as I'm worried that if we travel north we will get stuck in bad weather.

I was looking at Savannah, GA but hotels are super expensive unless I book 20 minutes outside of Savannah... but then I'll have a taxi fare to pay for. It's still an area I'm considering but I'm looking for other ideas as well.

Suggestions?

Maybe you could book a flight to Las Vegas?

She's been 10+ times and I've been before as well... I never really found it that impressive and didn't see a whole lot to do besides sit in the hotel and gamble, unless I just had a bad experience?

I haven't been in like 15 years and I really want to go. Ok, I would look into last minute cruises and trips. I hear you can save a lot that way. Maybe a Agent knows about some great deals. Disney? Virgin Islands? Find a deal to Mexico? I understand you have to save money, but for me half the fun is chasing a fantastic deal. And you can save money getting a fridge and microwave in your room and cooking, also a free breakfast at the hotel is good. Those tide me over until a early dinner

I haven't been in like 15 years and I really want to go. Ok, I would look into last minute cruises and trips. I hear you can save a lot that way. Maybe a Agent knows about some great deals. Disney? Virgin Islands? Find a deal to Mexico? I understand you have to save money, but for me half the fun is chasing a fantastic deal. And you can save money getting a fridge and microwave in your room and cooking, also a free breakfast at the hotel is good. Those tide me over until a early dinner

I just looked at flights to Vegas and they are $500+ per person :-/ A cruise might be doable if I found the right place. My family has a travel agent that we've used before or cruises and he might be able to help me.

I just looked at flights to Vegas and they are $500+ per person :-/
Check out Allegiant air, they offer round-trip tickets between $70-$300 per person if they fly out of your city.

I found Vegas fascinating and would love to go back. We drove in, walked the strip (took two days back in 2007) saw all the free shows that each hotel offers then hit the painted canyons and saw wild horses/death valley. The Grand Canyon apparently isn't too far but we didn't know it was "so close" to go see it or we would have. We also found and stopped by a bunch of ghost towns which was really cool. Now I imagine walking the new hotels would take at least three days. They are HUGE!

Allegiant also does runs to Disney World. Granted the hotel prices there are killer this is a great time of year to go. I've been thinking about taking a solo trip but I prefer to travel with another person to theme parks. If anyone wants to go to Disney... I'm game! :D

I'm sure you and your mom will have fun with wherever you end up. :))

What about Asheville, NC? I've heard amazing things. A few of my friends have lived there and loved it for the art, music, cafes, and fun college scene. I bet you can find an inexpensive B & B or house rental. I've always wanted to go to Savannah, and Charlotte, too.

Different than above suggestions, but this is my kind of vacay. :)

My sister lives in Las Vegas, and I agree, unless you have a lot of money to spend on buffets and shows, there isn't a ton to do on the Strip. Red Rock for hiking/ rock climbing is awesome right outside of town, but the taxi fair would be terrible.

Otherwise I'm not much help, I haven't been on too many vacations!

Well, cruises for in between Christmas and New Years are a no-go. Too expensive for 3+ nights (and 2 nights aren't worth the 14 hour drive). They are definitely affordable though the week before Christmas. I talked to my mom's friend who is going to talk to the superivsor to see if it is at all possible to get that week off and if so, whether or not I can take it off for her so she doesn't find out. Then the question is how mad my mother will be when she finds out that I took her off of 5 days of work... that may not go over too well.

We'll see. I should know on Monday whether it's do-able or not. I hope it is. She really deserves a vacation.

Back