Best Cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchieRoo

Vegan Pet Lover
Hi,

My two cages were built by husband, almonst 10 years ago. I am currently looking for news cages for my chinchillas. My husband is too busy to build them this time around, so I was wondering which cages people have and which ones are good? Thank you in advance.

A lot of people on here like the Ferret Nation and Critter Nation cages. I don't have either, simply because I didn't know about them when I was originally buying chin cages, but people really do like them, there's even a thread - the Ferret Nation Club - on here where you can see pics.

I have cages from Quality Cage - http:/www.qualitycage.com - and I like them. Not quite as pretty in the house, but they do the job well.

I know some people who have cages from Martins' Cages, which I personally like less, but again, they do the job.

A lot of it depends on how much you want to have to modify the cage, how much you like what it looks like, and so on. For example, the ferret nation cages come with plastic pans, so a lot of people make fleece liners or buy metal pans from _________ (can't think of it right now, someone help here) some website and replace them, and then add in wooden shelves. The quality cages come with wooden shelves, so when you order them, you're set to open up the cage and go, with no modifications. I believe the Martins cages have wire shelving and ramps, which are best removed and made into wood shelving. So some of it depends on what you want to do and modify on your own, and some look better than others.

Last edited:
I personally like this one i'm thinking about getting in the future it's three stories and it's the bottoms with the shavings that's easier on your babies feetsies. =)

And plenty of room for you to add tubes and hammocks and shelves. More room to play with i say is always better.

a bit pricy on this but it's nice

http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/merch...85&Category_Code=PrevueHendryxChinchillaHomes

this one is cheaper but a bit smaller i think

http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/merch...e=60248&Category_Code=SuperPetChinchillaHomes

Last edited:
^ if you do get the cage above dont forget that you have to take the plastic shelves out and replace with wooden ones (kiln dried). and take the ramp out and just put some extra shelves in their place so the chin can move with out getting his leg stuck.
the ferret nation cage is also a great cage. you can get the single or 2 level one as long as you only have a chin or 2.

I've owned both a Martin's and Quality Cages. I dislike the Martin b/c you have to assemble each piece with these tiny little metal rings, it's tedious to put together, and you can't travel with it unles you take it all apart. It also comes with wire shelves that either need to be replaced or fleece covered.

I LOVE my Quality Cage "Mansion." It's a big cage that is comprable in price to other cages of a similar size. I prefer this cage however because it collapses flat for traveling, it is already assembled, it has a flip top, and it comes with 4 KD pine shelves included in the original price. I'm actually going to upgrade my other chin to the "townhouse" next month which is only 1ft shorter and it comes with 3 shelves instead of four. My biggest complaint about the quality cage is that the powder coating on the pan is starting to come off when I clean the pan. So I would recommend ordering it with out the powder coating (you can also order chin spin wheels that way).

I am liking the quality cages right now. Trying to decide which ones and what not. I don't want to have to do much to the cage. The more ready it is works best for me. We already have a stand, but sadly the new cages wouldn't fit together on the stand, so I am thinking of how to solve that issue. What do your cages sit on? Ours have always been on a custom built wood stand. I like that, it works nice, has storage under it too. I just don't know that my husband would have the time to build a new one and I can't spend a whole lot of money. So many things to think about!

Ours stand on folding tables. The three silver ones are QC's - two Townhomes and a Mansion. Might not be as space-effective for one cage, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

new_setup_1.JPG

Wow, what a nice set up! Those cages look nice. My chins are in 5 foot tall cages right now, but I just can't afford to buy two new huge cages. I hope they won't be too angry. They each have wheels, so I am hoping it won't be an issue. I hadn't thought of a folding table. They have their own bedroom, but it isn't too big. I will have to figure out something. It's just so difficult! Thanks again for posting the pic.

Ours stand on folding tables. The three silver ones are QC's - two Townhomes and a Mansion. Might not be as space-effective for one cage, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

new_setup_1.JPG

I'm sure they'll be fine. Some of our chins we've had to downgrade to smaller cages... the Mansion, on the table, requires a chair to get to the top shelf... and so certain chins had to be, ah, removed from that cage and put in a smaller cage cause we could never get them (little stinkers!) and they do fine in smaller cages, and all except for one of our cages have wheels (and that's simply because we have yet to buy an additional chin spin), and that's really what they love... I'm not sure they notice the different cage, they spend so much time on the wheels!

Is there no way to repair the cages they're in?

The tables are only like 5-6 feet long, so it could potentially be do-able in a smaller room, just not like lined up next to each other like the way we have them.

You can buy one Ferret Nation 142 and keep it separated if you want. It's really easy, just buy a bass pan without a cut-out. That's how I have my two chins right now and they're really happy. They have plenty of space.
You can also usually find FNs on craigslist for semi-cheap. I bought mine for 100 from a guy who'd bought it for guinea pigs. They never left the ground floor, hahaha

One of the cages, parts of the wire are starting to come apart and I wouldn't want them to come apart all the way one day. The wire is just old and worn out. They are tall and thin cages, so sometimes if the chins run fast and push off of them, they sway. I would like to not have to worry about a swaying cage! :) Now my husband is thinking of building new ones instead of buying them, but making them smaller. We'll see though. I'd like them sooner than later and I know he doesn't really have the time. I hope they don't mind a shorter cage, I do think it's what's best. I do need to purchase a new wheel for one of them, Colby's wheel has had it. We have a wide stand that used to have a large hamster cage on it, that I may use for the new chin cage, but then we have to figure out what to put the other one on. So many things to figure out! I thought this process was going to be easy. Pick a cage and buy it, done. It's not though! :)

Hey tingerbell, the cage you linked to is the Feisty Ferret cage. I have one and it's great for a smaller space. The picture is deceptive though as far as the bottom. It is wire with a plastic pan that pulls out underneath. If you have the room, maybe think about the FN141. It looks smaller in the picture, but I have both and it's so much more convenient, sturdy and roomy.
http://www.csnstores.com/Midwest-Pets-141-MDW1025.html

I've had the same problem with the pan chipping in my Quality Cage, and having seen several breeders and rescues use Ferret Nations for (literally) a decade or more, I'm upgrading to one of them soon. My other dislike of the QC is that the door is either huge and centered, which makes escape easier, or two smaller doors splitting center (one toward the top and one toward the bottom). I'm not sure that the smaller doors would have helped me w/ cleaning the Mansion b/c it's tall and already hard to reach into the back corners. But I get stuck in the huge door, trying to make sure that the chin doesn't get out. Judge accordingly whether door size/placement are a concern for you.

I ended up ordering two townhomes for the chinnies. I can't wait. I am really looking forward to them having a nice new cage. Thanks for all the thoughts!

Back