Best Cage Tips

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchieRoo

Vegan Pet Lover
Hello,

My husband built our first cages almost nine years ago. They are starting to get worn out and old. We are trying to decide what are the best things do with cages these days? Any suggestions on what has worked out and what doesn't work well for the cages? My chinnies are so very messy. They go to the bathroom from every spot possible, spraying out of the cage, so I was maybe wanted something that was more enclosed. Not sure if it's the best option though. Their current cages are 5 feet tall and I wasn't sure if I should make them smaller this time. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance!

I think the big this right now is cages being made out of melamine on 5 sides with a wire door. The melamine makes it easy to wipe down and clean as well as keep bedding in. I've actually been thinking about making melamine panels for the backs of my fn 142

Do you have a picture?

I second Melamine, BUT the issue I had was my boys chewed on the back. Here's what mine looked like when it was brand new:

2141642492_486809dd9f.jpg

About a year after building:

2255153387_209a278d0f.jpg

It's worse now, I have no idea how to fix it. This cage took A LOT of time and work, but it was worth it. My Grandpa made it for me :D I'm about to sell it, I bought a Ferret Nation. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should put something around the bottom of the bars on the cage so the boys can't throw messes to the floor. Hmmm.

Before I sell it, I'm going to pull out the trays and wire bottom and replace it with fleece liners. The trays are literally rotting.

How did your chins manage to do that... Aren't those boards 1 solid piece??

Wow you have some serious chewers...

Do you have a picture?

I second Melamine, BUT the issue I had was my boys chewed on the back. Here's what mine looked like when it was brand new:

It's worse now, I have no idea how to fix it. This cage took A LOT of time and work, but it was worth it. My Grandpa made it for me :D I'm about to sell it, I bought a Ferret Nation. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should put something around the bottom of the bars on the cage so the boys can't throw messes to the floor. Hmmm.

How did your chins manage to do that... Aren't those boards 1 solid piece??

Wow you have some serious chewers...

That is a darn good question, I have no idea! I RARELY take vacations, but January of 2008, my boyfriend and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary for a few days in our favorite city. I came back and found this! I really have no idea, there were no scratches on the wall or anything.

:innocent::innocent: <--- my chins when I got home :p

"Serious chewers" is an understatement :p I put metal pieces on their shelves just so they couldn't chew them apart in 5 minutes. They are massive chewers, I hope they do well with the fleece liners.

Wow! I can't believe they did that! That is also a concern of mine. I wouldn't want them eating it.
Do you have a picture?

We couldn't decide on anything at this point so we ended up replacing all their wood and taking out a shelf and ramp in one cage. It's so hard to make the "perfect" cage.

Chinchie, could you please use a less bright color for your posts. It makes them a bit hard to read!

My boyfriend and I are about to make some new shelves for all my cages, since findin the "perfect" cage is indeed near impossible! I'm gonna have him put a "lip" on the shelves to help keep mess in the cages, maybe that's something you could look into.

Chinchie, could you please use a less bright color for your posts. It makes them a bit hard to read!

My boyfriend and I are about to make some new shelves for all my cages, since findin the "perfect" cage is indeed near impossible! I'm gonna have him put a "lip" on the shelves to help keep mess in the cages, maybe that's something you could look into.

Hi! Sorry about that. I was feeling like Fall/Pumpkin time and went with the orange! :) The chinnies are happy for the time being now that they have all the new wood. I just wish there was some great solution to this!

There seemed to be a general agreement that the lipped shelves helped with mess in the wire cages, which is what I have, so I'm gonna give them a try! Gotta love these little buggers!

Mine also chewed up the melomine, almost immediatly! I guess they're teeth are sharp enough to get into it!
By accident I've found the 1/4 x 1/4 hardware screen seems to keep things in, when they're playing "poo hocky"! [emergency baby-safe cage] It can get out, but they haven't mastered a "football pass" yet! ha ha

Mine also chewed up the melomine, almost immediatly! I guess they're teeth are sharp enough to get into it!
By accident I've found the 1/4 x 1/4 hardware screen seems to keep things in, when they're playing "poo hocky"! [emergency baby-safe cage] It can get out, but they haven't mastered a "football pass" yet! ha ha

Ooo, good idea. My chins have officially moved into the FN, so far as good. They will be using their all wood cage again, but only during the holidays when I'm visiting my parents.

Back