bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a first time chin owner and I have been devouring ever source of info I can find. That being said I've been looking to figure out what rype of bedding to use but once I thinkn I found a good one another website contradicts that. This has happened with every type I've researched. Helppp??

I use kiln dried pine. Some use aspen, some use Carefresh, others use fleece liners. Just depends on what works for you.

I also use kiln dried pine for my litter pans and fleece for my cage liners. I stopped using care fresh because I caught my lady nibbling on it.

We use fleece throughout our entire cage. It works well as long as you keep it clean. Plus, they don't eat it. They may nibble at first but after that they haven't touched it again!

When I adopted my chin, she was using Carefresh, so I continued with that. She doesn't eat it, but some chins do. It is also pricey, though I buy an off-brand that is a little cheaper. I like it because of the lack of scent. I can't deal with the smell of aspen since Idgie lives in the main area of our house.

I use kiln dried pine in my litter pans and liners for the rest of my cage.

I use fleece liners made of 2 layers of fleece with a layer of towel in the middle on the main floor areas of my cage, as well as a small glass tray full of aspen shavings that I'm trying to encourage Pepper to do his business in. He pretty much leaves his fleece alone - I've never caught him chewing it or pulling it all up or anything, although some chins will. If your chin destroys fleece, KD pine or aspen shavings work. When I got Pepper, my cousin gave me a bag of CareFresh that he'd been using with him. I only put that on the bottom pan and left the rest bare. I noticed he often tried to eat it so once I got my fleece liners sewn, the CareFresh was out. I just used the rest in my guinea pig's cage.

Can anyone tell me more about the fleece liners, maybe post a picture? Thank you all for being so helpful. I love the little guy so much already and I'm just a bundle of nerves.

Im a new chin owner as well. Have had our two little girls for just over two weeks now. I am using aspen pine (kiln dried) shavings in a glass dish for their litter pan (they do all their piddles in their! yay!) and I got fleece fabric from a craft store and wrapped it around their pans/trays. I just received my actual fleece liners today from a member on here (Shooper) who makes them (along with some hammocks and shelves she makes). They're great! :thumbsup:
Her facebook is Fleece for Furries

Last edited:
I've used both kiln dried pine and Carefresh Natural. The pine is much cheaper but I prefer the Carefresh because it masks odor better and because I've had problems with the wood shaving clogging my vacuum.

Back