Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I use Carefresh bedding for my chins potty box but was told I should try pine shavings instead,whats everyone's opinion on beddings? I am just worried that I should change it bc shes been messing with the bedding alot lately :hmmm:

Are you allergic to wood? Carefresh is ok if they dont eat it, but most will. If you are allergic to pine and your chin eats the paper try some aspen chips or the bedding that are made of hard pellets. Make sure you never use cedar btw.

I use to use Aspen but somewhere down the line switched to Carefresh, I don't really remember my reasoning...but I plan to switch back to Aspen just because my chin always tries to eat the Carefresh. I have a grate floor so he can't get to it but if he gets a hold of a stray piece of it when I'm cleaning he nibbles it.

Don't bother with the Carefresh anymore. It's usually much more expensive than pine and the pine is a better bedding for the chinchillas. There have been some chins that have suffered digestive issues from Carefresh, but there's not much to be gained by using it. It smells like wet paper and has to be cleaned just as much as pine. I've noticed that people will be less likely to clean the cages as much as they should when they use Carefresh. It could be the cost or the fact that it is not completely clear if it is wet or needs cleaning (it seems to hide that it's dirty).

You may be able to find a large bale or bag of shavings for a low price at a feed store or tack shop or tractor supply store.

Back