Beat Up Hands

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
I never thought by owning chins I would have the manliest beat up hands that I do!!

Every night either a piece of hay or shaving cuts me or get stuck in my hand.
Last night i had to tweeze a small piece of hay lodged UNDER my skin.

My chins sometimes scratch me when bringing them to playtime.

I have green & brown spudge under my nails from the mixture of hay & peed on shavings that I remove nightly.

I think i bang into a shelve or house or whatever in someones cage almost every night.

My hands have cuts, scratches, gouges, blood, dirt, peed on hay & shavings.
not to mention water soaked pellets & poop.

But when i see my cute little babies waiting for me at the front of their cages with their two little paws on the bar & that "adorable pay attention to me & give me another apple stick" face.........it is all worth it!!

But if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for hand ointment or something. my hands are SHOT. they are dry & they hurt from all the nicks and cuts!!

I put plastic bags on my hands when I remove shavings and pee from the cage pan. I have semi-long nails and I don't want to get anything nasty in there! I still get cuts sometimes from hay and chinnie feet, though.

I use gloves when cleaning the hay, poo, litter pans, etc. I use Neutrogena's hand cream and it helped to heal my cracked and dry winter hands. It's more like an ointment but I really like it! I found it at Target by the way (LOVE that place!) :))

I use surgeon gloves, they're thicker than normal ones. I use Aveeno daily lotion. I put it on at least 5 times a day. I've hooked several people on it :)

I do use surgical gloves, but lately I haven't. I don't have too much trouble with my hands, but I do get hay splinters and those suck!

I use surgical gloves and Jergens Ultra Healing Extra Dry Skin Moisturizer. I have a vicious allergy to pretty much all forms of dust. I picked the right pets, didn't I?

:)

I noticed I have the same problem, I get hay crammed up under my fingernails and that HURTS so bad! I get hurt one way or another when dealing with my chins lol

michelle...stop complaining...true love hurts ok!!!

lol but i feel your pain. whenever Giz is sick and i gotta hand-feed, my arms look so scratched up...people must think i'm emo...

I think washing my hands and my obsessive cuticle destroying are what really do my hands in. My fingers are so bad. Nervous energy and amphetamines make me bite my cuticles. It started years ago and never stopped even though I switched to a more time released medication so it doesn't make me feel like I drank a pot of coffee.

Anyways--the point of my story is my friend works at the body shop and there's this hemp hand protector cream and it's AWESOME. I don't use it nearly enough because I've only ever gotten it as a gift from her but I'd assume it is expensive. But if you know anyone who works there...hemp hand protector all the way!! So maybe it would work for chinchillafied hands, too?

I use hamp hand protector and love it. But my hubby hates the smell (it is a bit peculiar, I must admit), so when I'm around him I use Aveda hand cream (with orange smell, yumm)!

Latest posts

Back