Bear's Culture Results

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackie

I bite.
We finally got the culture results back and it came back as staphylococcus pseudintermedius.

From what I understand it is common for causing skin infections in dogs and cats...I'm not sure if this could be what caused the URI? The vet wasn't sure either. Bear had no contact with any cats or dogs. She was wondering if it was connected to Diesel's leg infection. Bear and Diesel never had direct contact, but Diesel was housed in the cage above Bear (a divided FN 142). The vet said that the s. pseudintermedius was susceptible to the baytril.

Does anyone have any input? It's been too long since I've been in microbiology class, but I can't find anywhere that says that s. pseudintermedius is a common bacteria found on the skin or not. I'm wondering if maybe the swab just picked up friendly bacteria instead of the bacteria that actually caused the infection.

Last edited:
Stacie, you may have already seen this pdf. I thought it was important to mention that this says "Staphylococcus pseudintermedius is an opportunistic pathogen - if an animal gets injured or sick this bacterium can take advantage of the body's weakened defenses and cause infection"

Bears cardiomegaly may have been endocarditis or myocarditis caused by this bacteria.

The bacteria could have just been living in Bears nose and the symptoms that Bear was having were caused by something else, but a biopsy of the tissue would reveal that.

And, most importantly, i am very sorry for your loss.

Attachments

• JSW-MA2 MRSP - Owner.pdf
    177.9 KB · Views: 6
Bear may not have had direct contact with cats and dogs but ifyou had touched a cat/dog and then touched Bear, the bacteria could have been spread indirectly that way (or through any other person who has contact with both).

So sorry for your loss.

I always use disinfectant in between my animals..I have a dog but no cats. The more I am researching, the more I am thinking the culture just picked up normal flora instead of the bacteria that was really causing him to get sick...from what I have read, s. pseudointermedius appears to naturally live in the respiratory system of animals. Though, it may have became an opportunistic pathogen when the other bacteria took over and caused him to become sick.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back