Bass pans price increase and added sealant

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NOLA Chins

I ordered pans for another donated FN 142. What previously cost $30 delivered is now $49 delivered. Plus they have a sealant on the joints of the cut-out sides. Great time trying to scrape that off.

Maybe ask for the 'NO SEALANT" option and they'll reduce the price!!
Explain it's not 'chin friendly'!!

I called them. They use a 3M metal sealant on 'all' their FP2 pans. My other 2 sets didn't have it. The man said they'd never had a complaint about it and have no problem not using it as that will be cheaper and less work.

Wonder how many people have it on their pans and don't care.

Hm, I don't think my pans have them? That's weird. Mine were recently bought, too (recently as in this past summer...).

I JUST got my pans and they have the sealant. I was concerned about the galvanized too but everyone on here spoke so highly about them, I went ahead and ordered them.

I would think that with all the other things they have to do in their FN, eating the sealant would not be at the top of the list.

But since I just ordered the FN 143 the other day, I had called Bass TODAY (before I saw this) and ordered another cutout pan. Should I request no sealant?????? I plan on using fleece.

I just picked mine up from the California location this afternoon. No sealant on them. Maybe just the Missouri location does it?

I just have to add that I had a lovely experience chatting with the Bass people today. Its a husband and wife that live on the property, keep cattle, etc. Super helpful! I expected a big company but got a total mom and pop operation. If you have any problems I would recommend you call (707)433-6177 or (800)369-7518 and ask for Pat!

>I would think that with all the other things they have to do in their FN, eating the sealant would not be at the top of the list.

Some chins (all I've seen) have a thing for glue and other bad stuff. It's not that hard to scrape off.

As for those that don't care, is it really too much trouble to scrape off? Just to make sure?

thank you for letting us know about that rick because i wouldnt have known any different because everyone speaks so highly of the pans that i would have thought everyone else's pans had that to... im glad you let us know that before i ordered mine being that i have a ferret nation now.

I have had my pans for a few years, but they definitely don't have any sealant on them. They claim that the pans have had it since they started making them? They are so full of chinnie poop.

You might want to look at your FP2 pans again (it is ONLY on the FP2/cutout area). The sealant is a very thin clear line (clear like dry Elmer's glue) just along the seam line where they do the cutout. If someone had not mentioned it, I honestly probably wiuld never have noticed it.

I called them today and asked them and they assured me the sealant is non-toxic, and safe for chins.

Again, for those who say their pans don't have it , look again. It is barely noticeable and is ONLY where the cutout pieces join together - like near the rivets. They told me that without the sealant, the pans could leak and the pee would drip down through (not to mention sticking inside the overlapping seam!). Leaking is not an issue in the rectangular pan, just the one with the cutout because they join two pieces of metal. Also, looks to me without the sealant, the cut edge looks like it's a bit sharp! I tried pealing away the sealant, and the edge underneath was sharp-- as cut metal would be.

It will be a few weeks before I get mine set up, so I have time to consider the options. I am anxious to hear what you all have to say as well.

Ah, hadn't bothered to look, but here's what it looks like:

I don't think they're in any danger from it especially when it's covered by fleece. My unprofessional opinion: it's probably no worse than non-toxic Elmer's glue and whatnot.

I have a question about this pan. I picked mine up yesterday and noticed the metal does not have a rolled edge on the diagonal of the pan cut out (not sure if that makes sense, can't quite figure out how to describe it). It seems awfully sharp and I worry about her little paws getting cut when she's racing around the cage like a crazy child. Does anyone have a solution for this, or for those of you that have had these pans a long time, does it not end up an issue?

I have a question about this pan. I picked mine up yesterday and noticed the metal does not have a rolled edge on the diagonal of the pan cut out (not sure if that makes sense, can't quite figure out how to describe it). It seems awfully sharp and I worry about her little paws getting cut when she's racing around the cage like a crazy child. Does anyone have a solution for this, or for those of you that have had these pans a long time, does it not end up an issue?
I noticed that myself, but I haven't had any problems with it. It's not really in a place where they come into contact with it.

I just used my Dremel tool and sanded/buffed the sharp edges on the cutout pan . It got the sharp spots down and I was also able to round the metal on the cutout corner.

>I called them today and asked them and they assured me the sealant is non-toxic, and safe for chins.

There is no 3M sealant made for use with metal that is non-toxic. I would be happy for them to prove I am wrong.

Keeping pee in is not an issue if you use liners or bedding.

>I just used my Dremel tool and sanded/buffed the sharp edges on the cutout pan

Excellent idea.

I really don't understand people who don't think observable problems are not worth dealing with. I sincerely hope you are right. I have had chins die when I couldn't do anything about it. I'll be damned if any will because of something I could have.

I again called the MO office (800.798.0150). The sealant they use IS NOT non-toxic. The man I spoke with said he will call the CA office and get their info straight.

He also thanked me for bring the matter to his attention because he can't correct what he doesn't know about. Like any reputable company they are responsive to feedback. Hopefully the sharp edges will also be given some attention.

From other conversations I have gathered that some pans have a 3/8" or larger bead of sealant along the cut out. This would be more of a consideration than a tiny bead.

The point is, to me, that sealant is not necessary at all. The urinary output of most chins, I would believe, is little enough that bedding or a liner will prevent urine from dripping into the lower cage.

You only get what you ask for, or less. I want the sun, the moon, and the stars.

Last edited:
Toxic or not, a chin will try to eat it, and it's probably the consistancy of hardened silicone caulk - perfect for choking!
I'd be scraping off the exposed side, just to be safe!

BTW - It IS the Missouri office that told me it was non-toxic, not the CA office.

Nola, this discussion necessitates the question -- if you express so much concern about these pans, why are you (and most everyone else on here) using them? --they are GALVANIZED and that alone in and of itself is toxic to chins!!! They should never be exposed to zinc.

Let me assure you that you are no more concerned about your pets and rescues than I am about mine. I go to great extent to ensure that none of my exotics - be they parrots, reptiles, or rodents -- are exposed to anything harmful. Yet I purchased - but have not yet used -- these pans because everyone on here, including you, so highly recommended and used them. Ungalvanized would rust out in no time -- I asked about rinsing them in vinegar to neutralize the zinc, but was told they would rust out very quickly from the urine. Plastic we know is not good. So I am assuming you all use these pans because the benefits outweigh the risks -- or the chins aren't prone to chewing on them and ingesting zinc. It seems to me the zinc-laden edges would be more prone to being chewed, yet no one questions that.

So, someone please explain to me why so many are using galvanized pans, and don't feel THAT is an issue????????? Apparently I just don't get it.

I think I will just send them back and use wood shelves.

I'm not looking for an argument, just further clarification -- I just have a hard time understanding why the sealant (which I can remove) is such an issue but not the zinc (which I cannot). But then I have never understood why the rodents I have don't choke on all the wood and other "safe toys " they gnaw on! And though I keep them away from plastic toys, I really have not understood why that would cause impaction issues any worse than wood would. It's not like gastric juices would dissolve wood. But I don't take the chance.

I just wanted to add -- if the sealant is indeed toxic (then why did the MO office say it was not?), I do appreciate your bringing it to our --and their-- attention, and I will remove it if I decide to keep the pans. Their credibility just took a hit though ----I can't understand why they would have used something toxic in the first place!

But it has just raised my concerns about the whole galvanized issue, and I am questioning the overall safety issues.

Latest posts

Back