Barley as treat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idgie

Chin Geek
I give Idgie oat groats as a treat--she prefers the crunch of them to the rolled oats. She has grown tired of rosehips and I'm looking for other healthy things as a treat after playtime.

Wondering what anyone thought of feeding her other grains as a treats. People have talked about barley as an alternative/variety when discussing hay. Just wasn't sure if it was a good idea to occasionally give her a couple pieces of organic barley or any other grain.

Thanks.

Like maybe the barley flakes? I don't know if pearled would go over well. Barley flakes are a lot like oat flakes in oatmeal...I make them sometimes in place of oat meal. So, I don't think it would be bad for the chins to eat the barley that way. The same rules as with the oat meal would apply, of course.

Unless someone else can find something unsafe about it, I would say that's it's alright to feed. But, I'd stick with the flakes and only give a small pinch.

I've been told Barley puts condition on a chin better than oats, & I have used rolled barley in my supplement when I could get it. Some of the chins do not care for it, however. Its the only thing left in their supplement feeder (the picky little divas!) :)

Thanks. Idgie actually prefers the oat groats to the rolled b/c of the crunch (I suppose), but I guess that pearled barley might be a little too small and a choke hazard. I'll see if she likes it.

And thanks to Randy for the information, too.

Thanks. Idgie actually prefers the oat groats to the rolled b/c of the crunch (I suppose), but I guess that pearled barley might be a little too small and a choke hazard. I'll see if she likes it.

And thanks to Randy for the information, too.
I've found barley groats in the bins at my local health food store. :D

Actually, I was at the Whole Foods where I get the oat groats (and oat flour for me) and was looking at the other grains. Nice to know that I can try some with her and see what she thinks. Thanks.

Back