band aid alternatives?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieJJ

chinnies215
So.. I volunteer at a local animal shelter 2 nights a week. Friday night, the Chihuahua terrier mix decided it would be a good idea to bite my hand. Bite, and NOT release it. :( It's ok, I cleaned it out and it's healing nicely, but my next problem is that I'm allergic to band aid adhesive!! Now, it's been 1.5 days of wearing bandaids on my hands and they are now so itchy, it's worse than the bite pain! I had this problem a couple months ago with a cut on my leg, and just stopped wearing bandaids on it. But I really need to cover these bite wounds, they're a little deeper and I don't want them getting dirty. I got a TON of latex free bandaids last time, thinking that was the problem - but nope, still itchy. It's definitely the glue. I don't want to try liquid bandaids, in case that has the same part in it that I'm allergic to..

Any ideas on what to use to cover wounds? I thought of getting an ace bandage and cutting it into pieces and taping that on without putting the tape on my skin.. so maybe gauze pads taped on with the tape on the gauze and not my skin? Those are tougher to keep on tho..

Has anyone with this problem found bandaids with a glue you're not allergic to?

I'm allergic to band-aid glue as well. I generally go the gauze-&-vetwrap route as well. I buy the generic vetwrap at a local farm supply store for much cheaper and keep tons of it on hand for me and the dogs :thumbsup:

Liquid bandaid is fine for me, you could probably use that too. Its nothing like normal adhesive glue.

I'm allergic to band-aids too. I use gauze with a self adhering bandage wrapped over it, if the wound location allows. You should be able to find it in the first-aid section. Its basically just a bandage that clings to itself. Great stuff.

Also, have you tried the fabric type of bandaids? If your allergy is more a latex allergy, these often will work.

Or if you can find another tape that you can use, use gauze taped to your skin. I'm allergic to most tapes, but sometimes I can use the paper, skin-sensitive, tape for a while before it irritates my skin.

ooh, I wouldn't use super glue on a cut.

Super Glue IS liquid band aid. Just the liquid band aid had color added to it. Many doctors have been using it forever!

Im allergic to band aids and tape and stickers there is one tape they use at my mothers office that doesnt irritate my skin too much. I can call her and ask what it is. I still have a scar on my butt cheek and my arm from a band aid that "burned" me back in November last year. The tape they use has never left a mark on me.

Also you can get vetwrap either at your vet for cheap.. My vet charges about $3 for a roll and you can also buy some in the sports section in Walmart or Target.

I've used that 'liquid skin' a few times - stings at first, but it's clear and lasts awhile.

Super Glue IS liquid band aid. Just the liquid band aid had color added to it. Many doctors have been using it forever!

I had no idea! I know that when I worked in dentistry, people would super glue crowns back onto their teeth, which can kill your tooth. So we were always telling people not to use super glue for anything in their mouth.

I've used super glue on small cuts on my hands for well over ten years. It's water proof (and I wash my hands a lot) so doesn't get sogged like band aids, and it stays on even in hard-to-patch areas like knuckles and fingertips. It is as antibacterial as liquid bandaid, it's just not FDA approved to be sold as such, mostly because they haven't done the clinical trials on it.

I would not recommend it, however, for anything internal nor as a substitute for stitches if the wound is deep. But surface cuts, sure, it works great.

I had no idea! I know that when I worked in dentistry, people would super glue crowns back onto their teeth, which can kill your tooth. So we were always telling people not to use super glue for anything in their mouth.

Eh, I super glued a tooth together for almost 20 years. Long story, but to do the work needed on the tooth it's between 8 and 10,000 dollars. That's just not happening for one tooth. Super glue is a lot cheaper.

$3 a roll!? Wow that's high if you ask me. I buy the off-brand stuff when its on sale for $0.99 and its just as good. You can also get actual Vetrap online for less than $2.00 a roll.

What is the shipping cost? And the wait time. By the time she gets it delivered she will be healed. The vet may be a whole $3 for a roll but she can get it "right now"

http://www.amazon.com/BSN-Jobst-Cover-Stretch-Bandage/dp/B0013JFR8C

That is the name brand of the tape I use. It works great. Stays put and doesnt irritate me. You may be able to find it in a store for future uses. I keep a stock of it in my house. I just get it from my mothers office.

I've used super glue on small cuts on my hands for well over ten years. It's water proof (and I wash my hands a lot) so doesn't get sogged like band aids, and it stays on even in hard-to-patch areas like knuckles and fingertips. It is as antibacterial as liquid bandaid, it's just not FDA approved to be sold as such, mostly because they haven't done the clinical trials on it.

I would not recommend it, however, for anything internal nor as a substitute for stitches if the wound is deep. But surface cuts, sure, it works great.

The active ingredient in Liquid Band aid is super glue.. cyanoacrylate.Super Glue is a name brand just as Liquid Bandage is too. It has nothing to do with FDA. Just another way to market the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got lots of gauze and waterproof tape at target today. The tape was EXPENSIVE tho! They didn't have any of that other stuff that's been suggested, or anything like it. I'll have to ask the vet when I'm in there getting some more heartworm and advantix for the dog!

But, I am going to the dr in the morning :( Some of the punctures were pretty deep and are pussing now. To me puss=freak out.. So I'll be freaking out and going to the dr :p

Wish I read their website earlier tho! They have urgent care weekend hours! I could have this getting fixed already! Oh well...

You know the jagged footpegs on dirt bikes? I literally just about cut my leg off on that, all my calf guts fell out. I didn't have insurance and while I did have help from the county to pay the Doctor bills there was no help for meds and bandages. It took 6 months for the wound to finally close up and I bought gauze type fabric at the fabric store and cut/tore it into strips which I rolled up and kept in ziplock bags. And I discovered that blue painters tape makes a wonderful adhesive tape. And it's waterproof too.

Another name for the vet wrap is Coban, and you can find it in most first aid aisles.

Super Glue is not the same as skin glue. They are different formulations. Super Glue can burn the skin, where the glue formulated for skin repair does not burn.

Eh, I super glued a tooth together for almost 20 years. Long story, but to do the work needed on the tooth it's between 8 and 10,000 dollars. That's just not happening for one tooth. Super glue is a lot cheaper.
Peggy, Peggy, Peggy...what am I going to do with you?!!!

Latest posts

Back