Bald Spot on Kit?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturegirl240

if you haven't seen my other thread, my chin had 3 kits this morning. I noticed a small bald spot on his back. Then when I went back later I saw it was bigger? Is momma just over grooming? Is this ok?

A picture would be a good idea - is the hair just shorter, or missing to the skin??

Sometimes the mamas will have some trouble in delivering their kits. So, sometimes little patches of fur can get pulled out in the process. As long as there isn't a big bite or cut along with the missing fur, everything should be fine. It'll just take awhile to grow back.

Yeah, it probably got pulled on really hard...some more of the fur may slip out...that's alright. There's no way the baby has fungus or anything. Just keep an eye on it and make sure that the skin isn't abraded in some way...the little dude should be alright. :)

Is there any redness on the skin?
Have you noticed any squabbling amongst the kits?
Is this one the smallest?
Keep an eye on them, [best you can] and see if you can find the pepitrator!
Sometimes you may have to rotate the kits, if they're not getting enough milk due to mom being a first-timer.
If you've another water bottle, mix 50/50 UNSWEETENED apple juice and water, as that helps production!

The kits are all basically fine and I saw a little bickering amongst the kits but haven't seen much. He isn't the smallest but from what I have seen, they are very good at taking turns! two will eat while one will sit under momma's head and snuggle. Then if I check an hour later they are all rotated! I will keep and eye on it, and if it gets even larger, I will start rotating kits

It is nothing with fighting kits. But the bald patches have gotten bigger and almost engulfed the boy's whole back, and now the other boy and girl are getting some. Who has heard of this? Can I stop it?

I've not heard of this before, but it's obviously the mother.
Since she's a first time mom, does she seem "freaked out"? Has she hay in the cage?
I'd try some apple sticks or chew blocks, to see if that may help keep her busy.
Many will disagree, but, I've had luck with LifeLine "chilling out" my whole herd a couple of years ago, and maybe it'd help in this situation - certainly couldn't hurt!!

It sounds to me like the mother is over-grooming the kits. Usually this occurs when the kits are wet and the mother continues to "clean them up" however sometimes a mother becomes obsessive to the point of damaging the kits even when they are dry. You need to keep a close eye on them and pull the kits if necessary (i.e. the patches get bigger or the skin becomes red or wounds appear). You may well end up hand rearing these little ones if the mother does not stop.
You can try distracting her by putting healthy foods around the cage (little pieces of mini shredded wheat, some different hays, a few rolled oats etc) and giving her loads of stuff to chew on but often once it starts it is a terrible "habit" to stop.

She definitely could be overgrooming. I've had a few mothers that do that...they pretty much chew down all the fur on the babies backs and the tops of their heads. It isn't really dangerous for the kits...but I wouldn't want her to start biting the kits.

I definitely agree with providing more things for the mama to chew on...load up on hay. Maybe some cereal boxes or something would help. Toys are good...

I'm sorry she's doing this...you just have to love mama chins! The last girl that I had that did this didn't stop until her babies were weaned. She went in with another female and never chewed on anyone ever again...

Back