baking soda to wash fleece liners?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymilo

I read somewhere that it's possible to throw some baking soda in the washing machine with the liners to get rid of the smell. Does anyone do this? If so, how much to use? Thanks :)

I use the Arm and Hammer brand laundry soap powder anyway, so my trick was to put in about 1/2 cup of white vinegar with it too. (It might foam if the two touch, just to warn you.) Probably about 1/2 cp. of baking soda with another soap would do the trick, with or without the vinegar.

I add white vinegar to my wash. I don't measure it though..I am guessing about a 1/2 cup. I go to Sams Club and get 2 one gallon jugs for $3 and it lasts quite a while.

I've never tried baking soda, but I also add white vinegar to the laundry detergent. Works great! (I use about 1/4 cup since I wash the chinnie stuff by itself and it's a small load.)

Alright, so here is what I know about odors.

Most odor cleaners or just regular household cleaners in general only temporarily mask the smell of urine, or feces, or vomit. If you want these things gone you have to know the basic chemical makeup of it all: amines, sulfur, ammonia, and mercaptans, which are all carbon and nitrogen rich compounds that attract naturally occurring bacteria. A lot of times it will seem that the odor gets worse or just doesn't leave when you use certain cleaners. If you use homemade solutions that contain any ammonia or vinegar it can worsen the smell and solidify the stain.
Ammonia will just attract back to the same areas because it is a by-product of urine.
Vinegar is just a disinfectant and usually just temporarily inhibits the environmental bacteria from producing the odor.
Another mistake is using a steam cleaner, any sort of heat you use will just bake int the stain and odor so don't wash your bedding with hot water, use cold.

So, since we're talking about fleece and not floors I'll tell you that you can add a pound of baking soda along with your detergent and wash it with cold water. This will absorb the odors and discourage any more bacterial growth. Remember, no hot water!
I would say if you're not washing an entire large load, obviously break down the amount of baking soda as needed.

I haven't started using fleece yet, but I know that we had a problem with one of our cats peeing on the carpet, dirty clothes basket, etc. We actually used ammonia in the wash when we had peed-upon clothes, and it got rid of the horrible stench. I don't know if it would work so well on chinnie pee, though. We did also use vinegar when we didn't have ammonia, and that worked well too. :)

For urine or some moldy smelling stuff we've used white vinegar, just under a cup with regular detergent always did the trick.

I haven't started using fleece yet, but I know that we had a problem with one of our cats peeing on the carpet, dirty clothes basket, etc. We actually used ammonia in the wash when we had peed-upon clothes, and it got rid of the horrible stench. I don't know if it would work so well on chinnie pee, though. We did also use vinegar when we didn't have ammonia, and that worked well too. :)
It's not about the fact that YOU can't smell it, they still can and it becomes even stronger to them. Bad bad bad idea.

Back