Bad Hospital Experiences...what to do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vyxxin

RAF Chins
Okay, well, I'm about fed up! Maybe someone on here can help me out...as to what to do. I have been having very bad experiences with the local hospital that need to be addressed but I seem to be getting the proverbial "run around" I don't go to the hospital often, even for "emergencies" But starting with the birth of my son last year I've been in and out pretty regularly and let me tell you...they are about the most incompetent bunch ever! Just a brief description of my "problems"...starting with the birth of my son...

They sent me home, for a 24hr test, even though initial tests showed I could be VERY ill. When I returned the following day, when the doctor finally got to me, he said "we had a woman that we sent home yesterday show up in the ER today having seizures, we thought it was you" (I kid you not) Due to the delay in treatment for this problem the whole birthing process of my first child was ruined and my health was comprompised as well as my unborn sons

Flash forward, pregnant with my second child (about 9 weeks) and I start having bad stomach pains. They decide to send me for an ultrasound to see what the problem is. I need a full bladder for this ultrasound. After three hours in triage, alone, I finally ring a bell to see what the hold up is. I'm told "we forgot about you" (seriously) and instead of getting to fill my bladder the "old fashioned way" I have to have a catheter (sp?) put in and have it filled externally which was quite painful

Flash forward again, I'm having gallbladder attacks. After three, the fourth one (I didn't know what was happening at the time) sends me to the hospital. I was admitted...in less than 24hrs I see about 4 doctors and too many nurses. Several of the nurses, I would ring, as a question...they'd tell me "let me go check" and just simply would not return. After this happening about four times I flipped out. Repeated my question (can I have some solid food) to the RN and explained that I'd asked several nurses and they'd all left and not returned over the course of several hours. After leaving the room she gets on the phone (which I can hear by the way) and starts telling the person on the other line that I won't listen and that I need clear liquids only and that I do not get it...at this point I really flipped out. When she came back (finally one of them returns) I rudely explained that I have no problem being on a liquid diet but would at least like people to give me an answer when the tell me that they are going to get one, rather than leaving and not returning. At this particular stay, I also had a ring that wasn't answered at all!

SOOO...am sent home with instructions to meet with my surgeon or go to the ER if I have another attack before then. SO, I do have another attack...go to the ER, it just so happens, on the same day I'm to meet with my surgeon! They gave me pain meds which made me really loopy (they usually do) and some nausea medication. In the meantime my mother goes to call the surgeon to see what she wants me to do. While my mother is out, I get really sick...do not have a place to vomit and am too loopy to move yet. I go to ring for help...where's my call bell? On the wall about 4 feet from the bed! They'd forgotten to give me it! SO, I hold back the vomit. My mother comes back and tells me that the surgeon (who's right next door to the hospital) has bumped my appointment and that she wants me to stay in the hospital until then (2hrs away) Well...the hospital doctor comes shortly after and asks how I'm doing. I tell him that the pain is gone but that I feel very sick, like I may vomit. He goes out...comes back and tells me that I'm being discharged and to go to my appointment in 2hrs at the surgeons! He promptly leaves. I tell my mother that I cannot walk to the car and to get a wheelchair from the RN...my mother explains to the RN that I cannot walk and need a chair to get to the car...she brings a chair and leaves. Didn't even lock the chair...didn't assist me to get in...nothing! So, my mother gets me in the chair and to the car...over to my surgeons. Goes into the office and asks for another chair and explains why. The surgeon is mad and tells my mother to take me back to the hospital and have them stabilize me! When I get back over there, the same doctor that discharged me tells me that I said I was fine or he wouldn't have discharged me!

SOOOO...sorry for the long rant but I need help! I'm only 22yrs old and not sure where to turn. All these bad experiences are really turning me off to getting medical treatment. Furthermore, my father died this April because he refused to go to a hospital AND worst of all I'm beginning to wonder if my poor treatment is because of the type of insurance I have (cheap) :( Any suggestions?

I get treated like that too because I dont even have insurance. Self pay, gov't insurance, and 'crap' insurance people get treated like dirt.

But I dont take it lightly, and I call the hospital to ask to speak to the ER administrator. I explain my situation and state very clearly that I want to be notified of what course of action will be taken to ensure this situation doesnt repeat itself. I'd suggest you do the same - ask to speak with an administrator, and when you do, tell them your issues. Then give them your contact info, and say you want notified of the outcome and whatever course of action is taken to rectify this offense, and you are giving them X amount of days to receive your notifiacations.

Sorry you've been treated so poorly, I hope they get their heads out of you know where and snap out of it!
~Barb~

I work at for a hospital and we have patient advicates who are RN's trained to take care of patient concerns and review all the records to evaluate care. My friend was tossed around between doctors when all he needed was a referral to a dermatologist, I told him to call and after revieweing his records they did a charge review and discounted/no charged several of his charges. I would call the billing office with your complaint and ask if there is a process in place to address the issues.

Thanks Barb, I'll have to keep that in mind as most of the issues HAVE been in ER. Sometimes I wonder if the nurses there are even communicating at all with the Doctors. It's really frustrating...AND...to top it off...if I'm in the hospital it's because I'm really really not well...and that's when I get to deal with the most crap!

You need to find someone to be your medical advocate. Do you have a medically savvy friend or family member? Even with good insurance you frequently have to be pushy.

My husband is a great example. He needs his gallbladder out. He starting having attacks on Friday. I called first thing Monday to get him into the surgeon's office. They didn't have an appointment for a month. I said he needed to be seen sooner, and they said sorry the doc was fully. I reiterated the urgency since he can't keep any food down, and she sent me to his advice nurse. Within 30 seconds she set me up with an appointment for Wednesday, told me we needed a new referral from his GP, and set me up with all of the info I needed for that. I had to be very persistent.

That was a long story to show that you really need someone one your side with even a small amount of medical knowledge to help you out. Hospitals are under enormous pressure to discharge patients, so you have to fight for the things you need (unfortunately). Good luck!

My husband has a lot of health issues and is on disability and Medicaid, and he gets torn apart at our hospital. He goes to the hospital pretty often, which has turned a lot of the doctors and nurses against him and they treat him like crap. He had MRSA most of last year and the doctors kept sending him home on Biaxin, Bactrim, and a few other antibiotics that didn't work for him because the only thing that would reduce the flare ups was Vancomycin, which is only given through IV. He had 6 reconstructive surgeries on his arm to get rid of the dying tissue because the doctors kept sending him home and telling him he needed to stop coming to the hospital and that he needed to go to his family doctor instead. He spent almost 150 days inpatient, thanks to the idiot ER doctors. He also has a lot of mental problems, and when he gets manic, he'll head to the hospital because he can't control some of the things that happen. Most of the time he sits 3-4 hrs in the waiting room at the wee hours of the morning when the waiting room is empty, and you can tell the nurses are laughing and joking in the background, while he's freaking out crying because of what he's going through, they take him back to the ER, give him a klonopin (when hes already on a very high dose at home) and send him home, happens all the time and theres nothing I can do because I cant drive 45 mins to another hospital each time he needs to go, he can't get his license because of seizures.

I've complained to so many people in the hospital, filed complaints left and right, and it still hasn't stopped. I also got in touch with DHS and they kept telling me 'we're investigating' but I never got anything done through them either. I'd just start with filing complaints, letting them know that you don't like the way you're being treated and see how that goes. I haven't had any luck with my husband so far, but we're still pressing the issue and one day they'll get tired of our complaints and do something about it.

Read a book called "How Doctors Think." I forget the author - Jerome somebody. It will help you understand what to push for and how. I agree on getting a medical advocate. Also, if you ask for something to happen, and it doesn't happen, ask for the fact that it didn't happen to be documented in the medical record.

Good luck!

Sadly enough some people in the medical profession should not be there. You have to be very persistant. You deserve to get treated as anyone should insurance or no insurance. I learned this when my daughter was an infant and my niece was in and out of the er (she had a liver transplant at 8 months old) at about 4 1/2 years she kept having stomach pain, so starting in march she was admitted to the hospital for pnuemonia let out a few days later. back to the er in 2 more days to be told oh its pnuemonia again here some meds and sent her home this continued every week for about a month. FINALLY i told my sister there is something more wrong with her than just that and if she didn't take her in to the er and stay there till they examined her inside and out that i was gonna do it. She took her in again they finally did an ultra sound and she had tumors around her kidneys they immediatley flew her to the childrems hospital in madin by helicopter and put her in an induced coma. They had her in a coma for a week before she passed away. Unfortanately if you know somethings wrong sometimes you have to be persistant and rude to get it done.

I guarantee you you would NOT be treated like that at the hospital where I work. We have a standard of patient care that MUST be met or we WILL be fired. Is there any other hospital near you that you can use for your health needs? That is terrible and also very dangerous for your health.

I would look for another hospital.
My step childrens mother goes to the best hospital, has NO job & NO insurance (whole other story!) and she gets treated, has surgeries and stays for days and days and pays nothing. why, because she knows how to work the system and gets some kind of "sympathy" care or whatever she calls it. its for people who cant pay. she just waits till the bills pile up and makes some calls. find out how to work the system in your area.

I would find another hospital for future care if you can. And definitely find yourself someone to advocate for you. When my grandma was sick we ended up moving her to a different hospital. The drs at the first hospital wanted to take her spleen out and refused to listen to or address my families concerns. At the second hospital, they agreed completely that removing her spleen was not the answer and probably would have killed her in her condition at the time.

Definitely call and ask to speak to an administrator or go on the hospital website and send a detailed email. Give as many facts as you can and names if possible. At the hospital I work at our CEO is very hands on and if a patient were to bring an experience like this to his attention he'd be after the department heads.

On another note, I work on the food side of hospital care. The ones who were 'going to check' into getting some food for you were probably nursing assistants. The RN (at least at our hospital) is the one who has to convey your diet requirements to the kitchen. I would bet that the assistants told her you wanted to eat and the RN didn't do her job and was just covering her own butt saying you didn't understand.

I'm an RN and I am not currently working due to chronic health problems. I went into nursing out of high school in 1985 via three year hospital based diploma program then in to labor/delivery/high obstetrics. I love nursing,wait a minute-loved nursing for many years. I still feel like God wants me to do nursing but I haven't found a way yet. I went in to nursing to take care of patients and their families-not to have to spend 3/4 of a 12 hr shift processing paperwork and staring at a mobile laptop screen while I'm assessing my patient(I want to look/feel/touch).My family has been through some major problems in the last few years,myself included.I can tell you for a fact as far as insurance goes,it doesn't matter you get crappy care either way.IN fact I think I got the shaft because both my husband and I work for the same major healthcare organization in this area and our employer is "self insurred" so they can do whatever they want to their employees. Even going through appeals process at federal level,found out we didn't have a leg to stand on because they self insured their employees.I rant,sorry. Anyhow, why is healthcare in crisis.Look at all the fancy buildings/offices/lobbies with multlple fancy flat tv screens,marble floors,etc.What happened to clean and functional with exceptional patient care. All of the high gloss cover ain't worth a darn if you don't have compassionate people to take care of you across the board.

Unfortunantely I've had very similar experiences at a hospital. They can totally suck at treatment sometimes. There are good ones out there though, haven't found them yet but there are patients rights places that you can go that are connected with hospitals (I was about to go through them with Kaiser)- that is a route to go.
Sorry for your experience though

I have read all these posts and I can GUARANTEE you at the hospital where I work anyone treating a patient that way would be severely reprimanded or fired. About 5 years ago we hired this group to train us and keep tabs on our progress. I'm pretty sure it's costly for the hospital, but it WORKS.

http://www.pressganey.com/

I am proud of where I work, I am very proud of the work I turn out. We work hard to give excellent care in an excellent environment.

I have read all these posts and I can GUARANTEE you at the hospital where I work anyone treating a patient that way would be severely reprimanded or fired. About 5 years ago we hired this group to train us and keep tabs on our progress. I'm pretty sure it's costly for the hospital, but it WORKS.

I am proud of where I work, I am very proud of the work I turn out. We work hard to give excellent care in an excellent environment.

It is wonderful to have good hospitals which look out for patients! I'm hoping to never have to go to a hospital again but I'm hopeful that there are others like this too- unfortunately the good ones don't get acknowledged enough!

Our hospital used Press Ganey too. Not sure if we still do as the hospital recently sold and the new company has their own way of doing things.

We too use Press Ganey ...for both the hospital side & the providers (who work for a private medical school). I think it helps the departments & clinics know how things are going plus the patients feel they have an outlet for their concerns. I know they are contcated buy both the clinical departments (medical school side ) & the hospital departments if they are unhappy.

Years ago I had surgery at Johnston Willis hospital here in Richmond. I needed to go to the bathroom and when I got there I couldn't make it back. I used the "call" button and no one came. Pulled it several times. I even cried out if anyone was there. So after a crying jag, I finally got on the floor and crawled back to my bed and called my husband to come and get me. My surgery was the day before. My husband took me home and the neighbor helped carry me upstairs. That hospital is OUT for me. Found out later my parents had called and they told them there was no such person at the hospital.( while I WAS THERE!!) My parents found my husband via cell and calmed their fears. I'm not sure who to place the blame. But I do believe the nursing staff in many of the major hospitals are under staffed. I'm sorry you have had problems as well. I switched to Saint Francis and the service is five star. Good luck.

Wow, glad I'm not alone...but this really sucks! Tiffany, so sorry to hear about your husband, that has to be very hard on everyone. I didn't get back to this thread sooner because I was getting my gallbladder out finally. I talked to some of the staff on the floor I was admitted to AND...I really liked the floor/area where I stayed this time AND the staff was exceptional AND they told me that the ER (where I've had most of my problems) is the lowest ranked part of the building and we all can see why :( They also told me to write a letter AND when surveys come in the mail be sure to fill the out accordingly as I guess bonuses are based on ratings! It honestly made me feel good to get nurses that truly CARE about their patients for a change

Back