Bacterial Enteritis - experience with this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used the recommended mixture on the bleach bottle, but multiplied many, many times to fill the horse trough. You could do the same if you do them individually though. I would recommend wearing gloves. My hands were so burned by the time I was done, I don't think they have ever recovered. I'm allergic to latex and didn't think to search for other types of gloves. I just wanted to get the environment clean. I washed down the walls of the room with bleach water, the floors, the doors, the window frames, windows, everything. Nothing escaped the bleaching. Honestly though, I think the biggest thing was getting the cages out into the hot, hot sun (high 90s) and letting them bake all day. The sun kills so many things that cleaners can't.

Stack - Unless I know absolutely what caused the death (open pyometra with discharge, birthing issue, visible illness, etc.) I get necropsies done.

I know that by freezing the animal, the cells can rupture upon thawing and that can hinder results. I'm sure freezing can kill certain viruses/bacteria but we have sent out samples from previously frozen specimens and gotten positive results. It really depends on the strain of bug. I'd always give it a try, just in case.

Agreed for the "just in case".

Stack - Unless I know absolutely what caused the death (open pyometra with discharge, birthing issue, visible illness, etc.) I get necropsies done.

I would be the same way. Just reading about all these breeders having all these mysterious numerous deaths yet no necropsy or maybe one that didn't really tell him much... I don't really understand why they haven't been pressing further for information. Just a little surprised is all. I'd be pushing for answers for sure as long as I had more at risk (especially good breeding stock) and didn't know what was causing it....

I just used the recommended mixture on the bleach bottle, but multiplied many, many times to fill the horse trough. You could do the same if you do them individually though. I would recommend wearing gloves. My hands were so burned by the time I was done, I don't think they have ever recovered. I'm allergic to latex and didn't think to search for other types of gloves. I just wanted to get the environment clean. I washed down the walls of the room with bleach water, the floors, the doors, the window frames, windows, everything. Nothing escaped the bleaching. Honestly though, I think the biggest thing was getting the cages out into the hot, hot sun (high 90s) and letting them bake all day. The sun kills so many things that cleaners can't.
Makes sense. Mine will have to dry inside, as I don't think they'd ever dry as it's 27 degrees outside right now. Why can't this sort of thing happen in the summer?

Stackie -- I had one of mine necropsied... might have had more done, but the first to die was a 13 year old... thought, possibly, he was just old. Second was a malo chin, again, thought that could have been the malo... the other three died within a few days of each other. Was going to take chin #4 when I got home from work, but chin #5 had just passed, so I took the fresher one. Unfortunately, my vet found nothing, but sent tissue samples down to Purdue U. They took their sweet time and almost 5 weeks later in formed me of the bacterial enteritis. Is this how long these things normally take? I mean, had my chins still been dying, they could have all been dead 5 weeks after the necropsy was done and tissue samples were sent out...

It's good, after the fact, to know what it was, but I feel it would have been oodles more helpful if results hadn't take that long... cause even if I'd taken in the first chin that died, I'd have had all of em die long before I'd have had results from the first one back.

All the people that had chins died mysteriously were you all at the MCBA National show? Did people buy chins from the same breeder? I just want to know since starting Jan is show season. I am planning on going to CA State show and ECBC Nationals but I don't want my animals to get sick. PLEASE do not bring sick chins, especially to the CA show someone did last time then another time someone herd had a sickness and she was going to bring some of their chins to show but didn't.

Maybe shows should take a year break really, to bring all the herds back on track. I know that is not thinkable. But, maybe it would be the way to go.

Maybe this would be the solution to get back on track.

I am would be find with it,

How does one send out an animal to a university for testing??? Does it have to be done through a vet? Where would you find out how to go about this exactly??? Contact info, preparation, etc... Jags mentioned previously that some have posted live animals in order to do extensive testing...so for example would you have to physically take/fly the animal there...what is the procedure???

The first one-the herpes case, I did myself, got the form from the center, the body was chilled for a day in the fridge, wrapped in a plastic ziplock, placed in a second larger ziplock with disposable diapers and those plastic freezer packs, nothing could drip outside the package, then all that inside a large garbage bad taped shut, place form in ziplock, then into a igloo with more ice packs, put in a box and shipped fedex overnight. It grossed me out so from then on I paid more and had the vet do it.

Dawn, you mentioned this was at UC Davis right? I am assuming they could easily fax this form you are referring to or can it be obtained online as well...? The preparation you described seems easy enough and even I am squeamish when it comes to this stuff but nevertheless it seems doable...what does it cost if you don't mind me asking...? Do you have contact info for them??? A little late now for me but for future reference I think this info would be helpful to MANY! THANKS!

I have not had necropsy done, my first death was out of the blue and he had been injured at birth, so I thought there may have been an underlying issue from that, my second death was 18 days later on a Saturday and the vet said being frozen damaged cells and recommended a necropsy if another passed. So far no others have, so I haven't had one done.

Dawn, you mentioned this was at UC Davis right? I am assuming they could easily fax this form you are referring to or can it be obtained online as well...? The preparation you described seems easy enough and even I am squeamish when it comes to this stuff but nevertheless it seems doable...what does it cost if you don't mind me asking...? Do you have contact info for them??? A little late now for me but for future reference I think this info would be helpful to MANY! THANKS!

At UC Davis there was California Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory, where you could send the body without the chin being a patient, that was closed down a few years ago due to budget cuts it looks like.

They sounded like a place where you might be able to cut to the chase and actually get results/answers...thanks for looking/trying anyway...

I will start a thread for this. I'll post this information here anyway.

I just got off the phone with Virginia Tech's Veterinary Teaching Hospital located in Blacksburg Virginia. The information I am posting below( with the exception of the missing package label) can be found at:

http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/vth/labs.asp
Phone number and address listed on this page.

They offer necropsy services for $65. No charge for disposal. Additional $79 if you would like cremation and animal returned to you.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!
YOU MUST HAVE YOUR LOCAL VET FILL OUT HIS OR HER POTION OF VCU'S REFERRAL FORM PRIOR TO SHIPPING YOUR ANIMAL TO THEM. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! That filled out form must be sent with your animal.
She stated that the results would be sent to your vet in about a weeks turn around.

One thing I did NOT see online was the label that has to be put on the outside of the package prior to sending. It is a "Biological Substance Category B" label. The young lady faxed this to me along with a referral page and shipping instructions. She stressed on the top of my fax that all packages must be shipped UPS OR FEDEX to ensure the overnight delivery. Must be next day delivery.

I don't know if this will help anyone. We have an agricultural lab in Tucson, it is an excellent place for necropsies....but you have to have a vet referral for it. They send in the findings to the vet. However, I am not sure if they accept animals being sent to them...I go there myself with the form to drop off animals.

For future reference (for anyone in Arizona, or possibly surrounding states):

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/general/azlp46-1/ag_centers.html

This is what the label looks like. The person at Virginia Tech told me who ever is shipping it will have them. My personal vet had no idea what I was talking about.

I guess I would just declare what the package contains and see what the shipper requests.

Attachments

• latenovember 014.jpg
    latenovember 014.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 7
getting back to the shows and people who had/have sick chins after going. Thank God I haven't experienced this. I went to both the NY and Atlantic Chap. shows. I am very curious to know if the people who have/had sick chins were caged in the same general area? Also did they leave their chins overnight at the show?

As most of you who have shown in the same shows as me know I do not leave my chins overnight. They stay in my RV with us. Can't help but wondering if by staying in the same show hall overnight might be a problem IF a chin is carrying something contagious. Seems to me the longer the animal(s) are exposed the greater the risk.

Back