Baby fur vs Adult

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceChinnie

With the recent addition of my 4 month old baby, I have noticed that there is a difference in the texture of baby fur vs adult fur. I dont really know how do describe it, other than thickness perhaps? As a baby I'd expect her to have short-ish fur, proportionate to her size. (otherwise she'd look like a cottonball with eyes)

When do babies grow out of their baby fuzz and into their adult coat? And just for pure academic curiosity, what is the purpose of the different texture fur?
Thanks,
SpaceChinnie

I know chins can have many different types and qualities of fur. Some have softer, downier fur, some have very dense thick fur. It just depends on the chinchilla and it's genetics. I know there is a certain type of fur that is desirable when breeding and there are types of fur that is undesirable. If your chinchilla is a 'pet only' chinchilla and you aren't going to breed it, then just enjoy whatever fur it has. I'm sure in a few minutes a breeder will come along and be able to describe the different kinds of fur much better than I can.

I think around 3-4 months it starts losing that "fuzzy" or sometimes "cottony" appearance. Although adults can sometimes have cottony fur too if they don't have really dense fur. I have noticed that with kits their fur has different lengths interspersed through it which it give it that fuzzy appearance.

Latest posts

Back