Average Time after teeth filing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolyphinm

For all of you who have brought in a chin to get their molars filed how long did it take your chins to be back to eating regular food. Bria is about to have that done and I just wanted to know how long to potentially expect hand feeding to last. I know each chin is different, but it'd be nice to know a ballpark range. It might only be just the bottom molars. Vet could see some off this with just looking at with this tube to keep her mouth open and a light, but I'm sure usually its when one set it off the other probably would be too. X-rays are being taken beforehand too.
How often should I feed her too when she is being handfed soley?

I am sure you will get a variety of answers but for my experience it took my girl about 10 days to really start eating anything on her own again. I hand-fed her 4 times a day, 6 hour intervals as much as I could get into her. I cut it down to 3, 2, 1 then none in a span of a week after I saw her eating pellets on her own. My girl isn't gaining as fast as I would like, though she is gaining, so I am going to start hand-feeding her once or twice a day again for a little while. I would keep good track of your chinnie's weight and play it by ear when you feel like she is eating on her own again start decreasing and if you see her weight not going up then pick up the hand-feeding again until it all evens out.

With Rayna, she generally starts eating solids on her own again within a week after filing. She'll pick at the pellets a couple days after but I think it takes her a week to be pain-free and gain ease at eating hay and pellets regularly again.

Well she is home. It was worse than I expected. Her left side molars were very over grown. She also had to get her lower ride molar shaved down a bit on the inside as it was poking at her tongue. The x-rays showed a little root overgrowth. Will it hopefully slow that down now since she got evened out?
She lost 20 grams since her visit a week and a half ago. I got a scale to weigh her with. She has been munching on her hay though and I think actually chewing on it. Probably thanks to the amount of drugs she has in her. Got the lovely baytril for an antibiotic and metacam. Going to make sure I time that out between her feedings of critical care. She was also given some sub-q fluids after everything.

My poor first baby. She could really use a dust bath too...her face looks ridiculously greasy. Hopefully this isn't a long road to recovery and this doesn't need to be repeated to frequently. She is only a little over 2 so i am guessing it could be genetic...but she was a bar biter.

Back