At what age can a chin be breed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raisinggrace

Mom to chinnie and rottie
I am just curious as to how old a chinchilla must be in order to be bred? I thought I read somewhere it was like at least a year old but I could be wrong. The only reason I ask is because I was on Craigslist and came across this chinchilla ad http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/pet/2894917842.html. The woman has two five monh olds in with an older male who when I emailed her she said was the father and now one could be pregnant. I don't ever plan on breeding but I thought I'd ask the age at which a chin would be eligible to breed because I thought 5 months was to young and I would like to send her a nice email :) but like I said I could be wrong as I haven't researched anything for breeding as I have no intentions to. Thanks

She is absolutely wrong. They can definitely get pregnant at 5 months and younger. There has actually been a case of a chin getting pregnant before she was weaned at 8 weeks.

You might refer her to the forum when you send her an email.

"Eligible" and "able to impregnate/get pregnant" are two totally different things.

Chinchillas have been known to impregnate or get pregnant at just a few months of age. An ethical breeder will generally put them in breeding at around 1 yr of age.

So yes, it's quite possible she's pregnant.

Yeah I am defiantly referring her here but she has the attitude of one of those people who even though you tell them something they know everything and they are always right. I knew they can get pregnant that early I just didn't think any one would allow them to be bred that young ( minus the accidents, like tunes said at 8 weeks).

?ost breeders will wait till the females are 8 months to a yr old before introing them to a male. So 5 months is definetly too young. Like everyone else has said they can get bred as young as 8 wks, but is like a 14 yr old girl having a kid. Its bad for the child and the parent. And longer term can harm the mothers health.

First of all, referring her here will do no good. She doesn't care, she's selling them.

Secondly, I don't see any beige chin in the pictures.

Lastly, if whites are rare, I have many rare chins for sale! $500 each!!!

Yea, it's not good to breed them that young. I know some breeders put females in at 6-7 months with no complications, but unfortunately you need to offer to educate the buyers, because the seller doesn't care, she's selling them.

I put my females with my males when they are 8 months to a year old (or older if I purchase an adult female for breeding). It depends on how big they are. I will wait longer for a female that is a little on the small side. If she stays small, then I don't breed her at all.

Back