Aspen Shavings Quality?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up just ordering two of the large Kaytee bags on Drs. Foster & Smith with my Bird/Chin order. It was on sale for 9 something a bag, and with free shiping....thought I'd give it a whirl. My expectations aren't high knowing how Kaytee products are.

I may at some point try the Aspen Sani-Chips at the Feed Store if I get out that way. 35Lbs for $7.95!!!! lol

Unfortunately my Petsmart has switched to this new brand as well. The pine is absolutely horrible. I can go through a bag probably 2-4x as fast as I used to be able to with the other brand. Does anyone know any good online sites to buy bedding from for cheap? Because not looking too good where I'm from.

I buy my pine shavings from a feed store. I get a huge bag (probably 4 - 5 times the size of the biggest bags at Petco or Petsmart) for $8.50.

I've used Kaytee aspen for 3 years now. I like it a lot, little dust. I am sure there is cheaper stuff locally, but I haven't looked since I am happy with what I currently use.

But I will recommend that you wear a dust mask when you both dust your chins and when you change/clean cages. I started doing that about a month after I started keeping chins and I have had much fewer sneezes ever since. Also, in the long run, it's better for your lungs.

For the cages I use shavings in, I buy KD pine from my local TSC (Tractor Supply). It's $4.99 for a huge bag and it comes in different shavings sizes. I much prefer the "fine" over the "flake". The flake is much to large of pieces.

I like the Guardian shavings at my local feed store even better but they are always out so I stopped trying. That bedding was fantastic. I used the small flake and it was perfectly fluffy.

Latest posts

Back