Aspen litter question?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rach_leigh

Hi everyone!
I was wondering if this bedding is ok to use? :hmm:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10375+12661&pcatid=12661

I have a wishlist on drfostersmith.com with Oxbow food and hay and some other toys too.

I had to get some hay for my bunny today and I found a few ledges and shelves and a chin-chiller for my soon to be chinnie! YAY!

Just wondered if that bedding was ok or not. I order a lot from that website and love it so much

Yes, that's fine to use for chins. I will say, you can probably get it cheaper closer to home and not have to pay shipping though. Take a look around at your local farm stores. Some carry it. Wal-Mart has small bags of it as well.

Great, thanks Tunes! I will shop around. I know their shipping is high, so I try to have a big order to make it worth it.

The bags that Wal-Mart has were like little needles. And were SO hard to clean up, and resulted in some splinters in my hands. When I used shavings (I use liners now) I preferred the bigger shavings (more 'fluffier') just for clean up sake.

I get my bedding at Petsmart, although I am switching to fleece liners for less mess. I believe your local co-op store would carry it, too.

Feed stores carry big bags of pine, but I have not found aspen. I prefered the smell of aspen, but pine is SO much cheaper. I find it in huge bags at feed stores very very cheap. Aspen I found the best price to be at pet smart.

Thanks for the info...I will check the petstore/walmart for better prices!

Maybe asking around at feed stores to see if they would special order the aspen would be a good option for people looking for aspen. I know that sometimes similar products like different types of shavings all come from the same place, so maybe they could get a couple of bags of aspen in with their regular shipment. I know that around here several of the feed stores have started to cater to pet people not just farmers and horse people. They often already have things like aspen bedding in stock. It's always worth it to shop around a bit.

Latest posts

Back