Ariel..... Possibly pregnant

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narcissus

I got this girl about two months ago, a gentlemen gave her to me because she is "mean". (she will bite if you sick your finger in front of her mouth, but has never bitten me if held properly) anyways...... I found out about three weeks ago that she was caged with a male for 3 months. I have been weighing her once a week since I found out she was with a male. She has gained about 60 grams since the very first time I weighed her (when I got her over two months ago) my question is this, I don't know how far along she is, when should I separate her and put her in a "maternity" cage? also...... What size should a maternity cage be? My husband wil have to build one for me. I know there shouldn't be any ledges, but how big should it be? Thank you in advance

Ummmmmm..... Kind of freaking out here! Not sure if she is pregnant or not..... Could just be weight gain from a better diet I guess.... Um.... Somebody..... Advice?? Anybody??

60 g over a 2 month period isn't too much of a weight gain and could be due to diet. Some of the underweight rescues I took in gained ~10-15 g every week... On average, my pregnant females gain 150-200 g when pregnant, although some have gained less/some gained more. The significant weight gain tends to occur in the last two months prior to littering. I wouldn't rule out pregnancy though.

It is possible she could have conceived the day before you picked her up so until it's 111 days from that date, pregnancy shouldn't be ruled out. You can buy a temporary cage just in case. It should be one-level (I wouldn't use any taller then 2') with wire spacing of 1/2" x 1" or smaller.

Thank you, I wil keep weighing her to see if she gains more. I'm hoping it is just weight gain because if a better diet.

Ok, I'm probably just over reacting. I wil just keep weighing her. I'm kind of worried because the scale I have now is a new scale, the one I had before was malfunctioning...... So who knows if my first weight on her was correct.

I would still have her in a baby safe cage none the less, there is still a possibility she could be pregnant and you could wake up one day to babies. Best to be prepared and have her in a baby safe cage if that would happen then to find out she had kits and they managed to squeeze through the bars of a non-baby safe cage. I would keep her in it 111 days from the day you got her just to be safe.

The wire on all my cages are baby safe, even for the boys. Just, looks more.... professional, to me. But I will have my husband make me a shorter cage with no ledges for her. Thank you.

Ok. Well, ariel has gained another 45 grams... Putting her total at 105 grams. So unfortunatly, I think she is pregnant.

) ....my question is this, I don't know how far along she is, when should I separate her and put her in a "maternity" cage? also......

Um....separate her from what?
Is she still with the male or have you managed to house her with other females?

after her 30 day quarantine she was successfully introduced to two my other females. she has never been with the male during my care.

oh wow!! Good luck!! Hoping for healthy and happy babies!

Back