Argh! Craigslist people!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it ironic that they couldn't drive to pick up a chin, but somehow managed to have their chin with them when this random disaster occurred. I'm imagining this person with a chin in some sad plastic carrier on the metro. . . how strange. Maybe we should overpost the original post back on craigslist declaring that anyone who provides her with another chin is joining the ranks of stupid and careless. Thats just plain wrong

Hi Everyone! I have a very sweet and nice pair of grey chins for sale. They do not bite and are very very fun to watch. They come with a huge metal cage and another big cage that I used to have ferrets in. I don't want to give them up but I just don't have the room for them anymore. They will come with food and anything else I have for them. They had a little baby once but it died. It somehow got out of the cage and ran around the livingroom until I found it and put it back in with mom and dad but by then they rejected it becuase it didnt smell like their baby anymore. I think she may be pregnant again. I am asking for a rehoming fee of $150 firm. Remember, you get two big cages for them and whatever I have left of their food. I also have alittle alphafa hay that they love. Send me an email if you are interested. thanks for looking!

Just read this and decided posting a link here is the best thing we can do.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/for/1787930452.html

"We have 3 chinchillas that need to be re-homed. 2 adults approximately 2 years old and 1 baby a few months old. good for kids of all ages. "

LIAR. Chinchillas are not good for kids of all ages. Chinchillas are good for kids whose parents take the time to properly show the kids how to care of chins...GAH.

Yeah, unfortunately our Western New York CL areas have been very active with chinchilla posts. I have a little app that runs on my Android phone that lets me know when one gets posted.

Ugh, I hate when people say chins are good with kids. Most kids are impatient, rough, and irresponsible, so no they are not good for kids.
I see so many kids going into petsmart and begging their parents for a chin just cause they're cute as ****. I always butt in and tell the parents what it's really like to have a chin and they usually go with a hamster instead.

Or with some kids, and parents who don't care, you end up with care like Fritz...

I will never adopt out to a child, or a parent who says the child will be the sole caregiver. I don't have a problem adopting out to someone with a child (depending on the child), but the parent has to be the one giving the care to the chinchilla.

I completely agree. Most of the time when I see people with young children looking at chins at the pet store (usually like petland or whatever 'cause thats what I have near my house) I first inform them of the inhumanity that comes with pet store animals and then I tell them to get a rabbit from the humane society because rabbits are probably the most child-tolerant rodent I've ever owned because they won't bite like hamsters or gerbils unless they're really pissed off, they live for a longer time than small rodent, they're cleaner than a chinchilla (due to the fact that you can litter train them for both urine and feces), and they're more hardy and want to be handled more than a chin. My bunny that I used to have had a cage outside, but when he was inside I would just put his litter box in the corner and he would hop around to his hearts content in my bedroom (which was rabbit proofed) and would even sleep on the extra pillow beside me in my bed.

I just saw an ad on kijiji and this person kept calling the chin an 'it' does he not know the gender? it also says that he just got him 2 weeks ago, would'nt the chin be still stressed out?
in my family i have to be the one to stop my parents from feeding too many treats, yet they think they know more about chins than i do, anyways its just frustrating to have to educate people who dont listen

I don't understand the "I bought it for my son a couple years ago, he lost interest, and I'm not about to take care of it" postings. I find at least one of them a week. Parents must be mental. When I was a child and I wanted a pet my mom started me with hamsters...they live a max of 3 years and are easy for children to care for. And if your kid loses interest they are easy for you to take care of and learn not to buy another pet for your kid. The reason I got my own rabbit (after my mom had hers) was because I was good for 2 years about taking care of her and had proven I could handle a pet that lived longer. I would say rabbits and cats have it the worst...chinchillas are a little too new to the pet world and people aren't as willing to spend $150 on a pet. Rabbits and cats are cheap. They get them in the spring as babies, never realizing that they get bigger, and when the kid gets tired of taking care of it they set it loose like it can handle the wild after being domesticated.

Here's a deal for a breeding pair from Valley View. This is the place that had many fur chewers as well as some chins with probable malo in breeding when we visited a couple of months ago.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/pet/1792327767.html

Chinchilla family (van nuys)
Date: 2010-06-14, 6:04PM PDT
Reply to: [email protected]

Selling my best friends because parents wont let me bring them (im moving back). They have cats and basically said NO. I had hoped to live with these chins for 20 years, instead i only got 1 year.

Selling is the last thing i wanted to do.

I bought them directly from the chinchilla farm towards San Diego. I bought a male and a female hoping to keep breeding them. They have TWO babies, born on mothers day of all days. So they are just over one moth old. I will NOT seperate them.

The female is pregnant again so expect at least 2 more chins in about 3 months. (THATS 6 CHINS AND A CAGE FOR $500!!!)

As you can see i have a BIG cage. I also attatched a seperate cage on top.

The cage alone cost me $300.
The wheel cost $100.
Top Cage $120
House/Hut - $40
Food - $75 raisins/different kinds of pellets, various type of food/ tomothy hay.
Dust bath house - $35
Swing - $15

I'm including ALL food, timothy hay, raisins, a bit of dust for dust bath and a very happy chin family.

CALL ME AT: EIGHT ONE EIGHT - SIX ONE FOUR - ONE NINE EIGHT ONE

When I was a child and I wanted a pet my mom started me with hamsters...they live a max of 3 years and are easy for children to care for. And if your kid loses interest they are easy for you to take care of and learn not to buy another pet for your kid.

The sad thing is that since Petsmart, Petco, etc all have chins now, parents just view the chin just like our parents viewed hamsters, guinea pigs, etc. I almost want to work at one of these places, just so I can steer every single parent away from a chin and towards a mouse or a hammy. True, mice and hammies need love too, but they tend to be muuuuuch lower maintenance.

Chinchilla and English Mini Lop Bunny - $75 (alameda)

Date: 2010-06-10, 7:11PM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have an English mini Lop Rabbit and a Chinchilla I am trying to find a good home for. The only condition i have is that the pair HAVE TO STAY TOGETHER! They are an unlikely couple but they are great friends and i fear that they would both worse off now that they have been together. They cuddle together and groom each other. They are really great friends. We have a new baby and they have just proven to be too in your face with the added weight of a baby to really look after. We paid 50 for the Bunny from a breeder and the chinchilla was 130 but we are willing to let them go with the cage for just the $75....as it is difficult to ask someone to take two and not one. Anyways...just testing the waters for any real takers and hoping for the best. They really are good pets. Zen is the Chinchilla and Humphrey is the Lop. Thanks

Okay... So this sent up a few red flags, because they mentioned ONE cage... So.. Uhh.. yeah, do people actually do this, that you guys know of?

Happens all the time with different species. There was someone here trying to sell a chinchilla housed with a ferret. Then another one with a chinchilla and a degu.

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!! If only I had known this before, you mean I don't have to have all girls? I could have boys mixed in with my girls and not have to worry about babies as long as I don't have a nesting box? :banghead:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pet/1829362745.html

1 1/2 years old each. Female has had a set of babies through previous owner. We have not had a nest box set up so they are not breeding right now. They will not breed without a nest box. If you are interested in these as pets then dont put in a nest box, if you are looking to breed them then all you have to do is provide a nesting box for them. I am asking $150 rehoming fee for both chinchillas with 3 level cage. Both chins need more socialization.

Last edited:
Back