Are you guys sure?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
I posted some pictures about 2 weeks ago, asking for help determining the color of a kit. The majority said black velvet, so I accepted that as her color and left it at that. I've been looking at her quiet a bit, and I can't help but feel like shes a standard, like mom. I believe her father is black velvet though. But she looks JUST like her mama. I'm so confused!

Attachments

• DSC05060.jpg
    DSC05060.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC05071.jpg
    DSC05071.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC05178.jpg
    DSC05178.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC05175.jpg
    DSC05175.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 150
Do you have a photo of the father at all? I'm wondering how well veiled he is.

With some BV babies the baby(s) will come out with a mask and as they get older they darken over the back. Sometimes though they don't finish with their veiling and have some gray near the tail.
Just wait and see. :))

No. Shes a chin I got off Craigslist and she was being caged with a male and bred back to back to back and she was already pregnant once I got her.

Oh my! Poor girl!! Thank goodness the kit came out without complications and that you got her, no more breed backs for her!

No. Shes a chin I got off Craigslist and she was being caged with a male and bred back to back to back and she was already pregnant once I got her.
Ah, it is quite possible that the father is not very well veiled then - I would suspect your kit is a 'poor quality' (in terms of veiling & coverage) black velvet but time will tell.

The baby is definitely a black velvet. Believe it or not, I have seen black velvet kits with even LESS veiling than she has. She could darken with age, baby bv's can come out with almost no veiling and they will at least develop a darker, noticeable mask as they age. She is definitely a bv, the quality doesn't make her less of one. ;)

The baby is definitely a black velvet. Believe it or not, I have seen black velvet kits with even LESS veiling than she has. She could darken with age, baby bv's can come out with almost no veiling and they will at least develop a darker, noticeable mask as they age. She is definitely a bv, the quality doesn't make her less of one. ;)

No-one is arguing that the kit is not a BV, nor that poor veiling does not make it so. :rolleyes:

The point I was making (& JAGS appears to have also picked up on) is the fact that, whilst the kit is a BV, it is not very well veiled at this stage - it may well develop more coverage as it gets older, or it may remain as poorly veiled..........
Our posts say the same thing but in different ways.

This is a picture of my black velvet when he was 9 weeks old...

web-ang-pep-2.jpg

This is him now....

b381b431-1.jpg

No-one is arguing that the kit is not a BV, nor that poor veiling does not make it so. :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes again and I might have to start calling you a numpty! :neener:

I didn't mean to come off saying you guys were implying that, just wanted to clarify for the OP that regardless about the debate about how well veiled her kit is or will be she does in fact have a bv.

She is a BV..The veiling will likely get darker with age. Maybe as dark as is desired but she is a BV

black velvets have a black veiling over there head and down there back, the sides are gray and the stomach should be white, like a standard.... an ebony will not have a white stomach...It should be close or the exact color as the body

Back