Are they really that fragile?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djones.m

My concern comes from me watching a video about a chinchilla named lucky on youtube. The fella in the video made it sound that if you have a life outside of your chinchilla, then it's not the pet for you. Several people that I know have told me a chinchilla is a mistake and I won't be happy with him/her as my pet.

I'm ok with buying sand and letting her/him bathe twice a week(a little jealous they can look so cute with just two bath nights a week). the food and the cage are already accounted for. I just have a few concerns.

I have a decent media center, not often but occasionally if a album or blueray that I've been looking forward to comes out, I like to take advantage of it. The chinchilla wouldn't be in that room, but occasionally when other people in my house use it, I have to turn up my telee quite a bit to hear over the noise. Further more I'm told by one roommate they when he's tending to chores outside he cranks up the media center loud enough for him to hear outside.
I can't gurantee for the chinchilla I'll be in the same spot every day. Sometimes I'll stay late at work, or go out with friends for drinks after work. I will always have time for him/her every day. Occasionally I go away for a weekend. I can find a sitter for him/her but I can't always guarantee that the sitter will let them run around. I can't always guarantee that I can bring him/her with me. My friend tells me that chinchillas won't eat all their food if you leave it in their cage and he will often just leave it alone for a few days if has to. And to be fair that's not an ideal situation for any pet, but the little fella stills seems quite happy. His chinchilla even sleeps in his lap sometimes, but I'm told not to expect that out of every chinchilla. I'm told that sudden noises scare them, and that over time they can get used to ambient noises such as the surround sound system.

So what does this community think? Should I attempt to own my first chinchilla? or stick with hamsters that break my heart dying after two years.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-First-Deluxe-Multi-Level/dp/B000CMHWZC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306701999&sr=8-3 This btw is a link to the cage I bought for him/her. I'm told that this is way too small for a chinchilla.

That cage is not ideal due to the large amounts of plastic.

Chin's hearing as the same as yours, if it's too loud for you, it's too loud for them.

You do not need to spend every waking moment with your chin.

Your chin will not stop eating, stop drinking, die, or turn into a gremlin if you don't let it out every night or even a whole weekend. In fact most injuries/issues are caused when the chin is out of their cage. I've heard of chins being shut in the door, stepped on, crushed by a chair, falling in the toilet, eating cords, eating a hole in the wall then disappearing into the wall... and many more.

Do sudden noises scare you? Then they'll scare the chin.

The biggest things that a chin NEEDS is safe chews, fresh hay, clean water, and a QUALITY pellet ( many people have issues with one ). A quality wheel ( not made of plastic or wire) makes for a very happy chinchilla.

They do not need outside play time to be happy, treats ( which can lead to health issues), or an opposite sex mate although all of these things might make them happy.

Actually I probably wouldn't trust a sitter to let my chin run around anyway unless it was another chin owner very familiar with what and how I do what I do.

I would stop watching youtube and do more research here, starting with the FAQS section. :D

They sell replacement shelves for the cage that are made out of wood. I'm not sure what I'd do in place of latters and what not. I've seen alot of people just use that specific cage with their chinchillas as well. In fact there are pictures of people housing chinchillas without that cage modded. I did read plastic levels weren't ideal, but would the base of the cage be exceptable?

I have used that cage for chins, you just need to replace the shelves with wood shelves and ledges. The wire sits in the bottom so they can't chew it as easily, but they still can so you'd need to watch for that and maybe have a metal drop pan custom made if it's a problem (it wasn't for me).

However, that cage is not sturdy enough for a wheel, the whole thing rattles horribly while they're running.

Noise level shouldn't really be a concern. As Riven said, their hearing is nearly identical to our own, so if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother them. I use a shopvac when I clean my cages and having it running with them still in the cage doesn't bother them at all. They will get used to common sounds. Sudden noises may startle them, but they won't wilt and die from an occasional loud bang or anything!

Chins don't really need play time often, so they will fine in their cage for a long weekend. Chins do get stressed pretty easily with moves and such, they are very much creatures of habit - it would be better to leave them in their cage that they're familiar with than to bring them with you on your long weekends.

Very few chins are lap chins, but there are a few. Most of them are bouncy balls of energy that run everywhere and chew everything.

I do not believe them to be high maintenance pets, it's possible to keep chins if you have a social life!

I was told that i would regreat owning a chinchilla by a few people. But still I wanted one. And I am so glad i didn't listen to them. I LOVE my chin.
I have that same cage. And like everyone else said just take the plastic shelves out and replace them to wooden ones. And make sure they have fun wooden things to chew on.
As far as noise. I listen to my music pretty loud when cleaning. She seems fine. And I put the vacume in her cage. I also have 3 small children ( ages 7,6,2) And they are loud. She is fine with then. Now when she has enough of them she kinda charges the cage. And the kids know to leave her alone when she does that. The baby has shaken her cage a few times and while she don't like it she is fine with it. Thankfull he has learned to stop doing that. LOL
I leave her bowl out with food. She eats when she wants. I keep a eye out for how much she eats so i know how much she is eatting. I also go out for out sometimes for the weekend. My sitter is my sister in law. She doesn't take her out for play time. And i just rather her not. Just because I dont want her to get lose. Chins don't need outside time EVERY day. But they sure love it thou

Last edited:
I am pretty new to this chinchilla thing, too, just about 2 months now. O heard some of those same things, that they were so afraid of loud noises that it could kill them if you scared them. I used to move her cage out of the room when I vacuumed, but then decided that I couldn't do that forever and she would have to learn to deal. She is not a fan of the vacuum, but hasn't died of a heart attack, either.

I also have 3 kids, ages 7, 5, and 2. They are very loud, and run up to the cage with no warning, and I am always fishing my 2 year old toys that he can fit through the bars out of it. Misty seems pretty unfazed by most of it.

My family had a lot of pets when I was growing up, and I think Misty is the easiest by far. She doesn't bite either, like my hamster always did. She's great with the kids, if they put their hands through the door of the cage she will sniff their fingers and climb on their hands.

I think as long as you have the time to make sure her cage is cleaned at least once a week, she has food daily, and water, you should be fine. My husband works 4 12 hour shifts a week and is 3/4 time in college, on top of us having three young kids, and I have the time.

Good luck!

I have to admit to not reading your entire post or all the responces but think I got the jist of it.

I had that same cage for months. I replaced the sehlves with wood and did a LOT with it. In the end the reason I switched was becasue Mouse figured out how to open the door on it. For a while I was adding extra clips but after a while I got tired of that and "upgraded" to an FB 142 for him. But had I not been tired ofr the extra clips and hated cleaning that cage I might still be using it (FN's are way easer to clean and for me that was worth the new cage)

as for play time if the cage is large and they have toys I agree that they are fine for a while with no play time. This year I'm traveling a lot and while I give as much play time as possible when I'm away, I tell my sitters (and my husband) not to let them out, because I feel they're safer in the cage. And even when I am home they get 3-4 play times a week. I've got boys who fight so play time is seperate and I don't have 2 hours a night so they get play time eveyother night, often for more than an hour.

yes they would like more play time... but they are spoiled and once theor out they totally forget they were "hled captive" for days on end.

with all of the very many chins in meed I think that anyone who can provide a safe and loving home even if it's not a perfect home should consider taking one of these adorable animals in,

all that said, they are NOT sungglers and they do not give unconditional love. They are famus for beign picky and giving the stink eye.

I have two of those cages and planning on buying another one. Take out the plastic shelves and ramps (chinchillas don't need ramps, they jump) and replace the shelves with wood ones. My boys love their cage. ;)

Granted, I only keep ONE chin in that cage. I, personally, wouldn't put two in it. I don't think there is enough space for them to get away from each other if they want some alone time. ;) But for one chins, should be fine if you put in some wood shelves and fun toys. ;)

I give my chin a dust bath every day, I thnk they need it more than twice a week.

Agree with others that there's no harm done if it doesn't come out of the cage for a few days. I do think it's important to let them out for a runaround a few times a week though, they could have all the toys in the world but nothing beats a bit of wall surfing and a good sprint around.

I give my chin a dust bath every day, I thnk they need it more than twice a week.

Twice a week is fine. Giving a dust bath every day can really dry out their skin so it isn't a very good idea.

Twice a week is fine. Giving a dust bath every day can really dry out their skin so it isn't a very good idea.

Hasn't dried his skin out at all, he only has it for 15 minutes a day. Everyone obviously has different ways of doing things but i've always been told every day is best.

It's sort of hard to see their skin considering it is covered by plush fur, so it may be hard to tell if it's dry or not. :)) If you look around here, no one will say to dust everyday, unless you're getting close to a show.

It's sort of hard to see their skin considering it is covered by plush fur, so it may be hard to tell if it's dry or not. :)) If you look around here, no one will say to dust everyday, unless you're getting close to a show.

My guy is a fur chewer lol makes it a lot easier. I've only recently joined from a UK forum, on that site I don't think anyone would say twice a week is enough. Guess it's just a difference in the way things are done in different places.

I can vouch for the less-is-more, myself. My female's ears will get flaky if I give her more than two dust baths a week, and she'll sneeze--as cute as that sound is, that can't be good for her.

So ears can also be an indicator, ;)

jsut as an fyi, that cage is actuly a redesigned version of their old cage, which was made as a ferret cage. Thats why they come with plastic. Cheap and no real harm to a ferret.

Ironicly i now have two of the older version cages for me ferrets, and to FerretNation cages that my chins live in lol

My guy is a fur chewer lol makes it a lot easier. I've only recently joined from a UK forum, on that site I don't think anyone would say twice a week is enough. Guess it's just a difference in the way things are done in different places.

The way people dust really depends on the climate. I only dust once a week or once every other week because my humidity rarely gets above 18%. When I was living with 50%-60% humidity, I was dusting every other day. It all depends on where you live and what type of dust you use (many people this way use blue cloud which is VERY finely ground and as such, dries out skin faster).

Keep in mind the guy in that video also advocates letting your chin run free at all times and thinks chins are little humans, which they are not.

The best advice you got is to stay of Youtube and find your chin information here. :)

I've also used versions of that cage and cut wooden shelves for them. When people pick up chins from me I recommend they dust when the chin starts to look clumpy, I personally dust once a week. The more you handle them, the greasier they get from your hands = need for more dusting.

I also had a lot of people telling me I didn't want one. I remember seeing a giant rodent thinking man, $80 for that? Really? I took him home anyway and the rest is history... :D

Last edited:
Your question was are they really that fragile--and then many people commented on housing and bathing--to answer your original question are they really that fragil--yes and no. The worries of bathing so be last is worrying about temperature and proper nutrition for your chinchilla. They cannot be kept in a hot room--chinchillas can die if overheated. The cannot eat fruits and vegetables either fresh or dried--foods with high sugars can lead to the death of your chinchilla. I know many people advocate playtime and think your chinchilla NEEDS playtime--this is not true at all. Please keep in mind the more the chinchilla is removed from it's cage the more chance for an injury to occur to the chinchilla.

So kept in a cooler climate, fed the proper nutrition--quality pellets and hay and no fruits or veggies, and careful monitoring of your chinchilla when outside the cage--they aren't too fragile.

Not doing any of those things then yes your chinchilla is quite fragile.

Latest posts

Back