Are these all the different chin color variations?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Standard Gray

Wilson White

Pink White

White Mosaic

Silver Mosaic

Heterozygous Beige

Homozygous Beige

Tan

Brown Velvet

Black Velvet

Homozygous Ebony

Heterozygous Ebony

Sapphire

Blonde

Charcoal

Standard Gray
Yes

Wilson White
Yes

Pink White
Yes

White Mosaic
Yes

Silver Mosaic
Same as white mosaic just references darker tipping on the fur

Heterozygous Beige
yes

Homozygous Beige
Yes

Tan
Yes

Brown Velvet
Yes, beige expressing tov gene

Black Velvet
Yes, standard expressing the tov gene

Homozygous Ebony
Yes

Heterozygous Ebony
Yes

Sapphire
Yes

Blonde
This is a made up name to get people to pay more for beiges.

Charcoal
Yes, although rare and only a few breeders working with it

You also missed Violet and Goldbar which you might mean when you say "blonde". TOV can express in any color and most any color can be a mosaic (ebony white, white violet, sapphire white, etc)

Would violet and sapphire wraps be considered a different mutation? I've also heard of recessive whites and know a few breeders are working on them but have never seen one as a pet. Lastly I've heard of a color called blue diamond but don't think it's in the US.

Of course I could be wrong so I hope someone will correct me If I am.

Forgot to mention the angoras and curly haired chinchillas I've only seen on chinchillas.com

Yes, they are different gene mutations, and thus different colors. For a chin to express the "wrap" they must also express the ebony gene. I have heard of blue diamond but frankly know nothing about it. Angoras and curlys are types of mutations but would not be considered a color. Not sure if the consensus would be on recessive white as it's own color, which was the original question - someone with more genetic knowledge will have to come along...like Mish :)

There were once Stone Whites which were the only confirmed recessive white. I had a Lowe Recessive white at the State show and the consensus between the ranchers is that it is actually a recessive beige.

There are also Sullivan beiges which are recessive. The hetero and homo beiges we regularly see are known as Tower beiges.

The list should be as follows:
Standard (grey, no mutation present)
mosaic (this includes wilson white and everything else that is white)
ebony (light, medium and dark...using homo and hetero is incorrect)
beige (hetero and homo)
black velvet
violet
sapphire
goldbar
Sullivan beige
Lowe Recessive white

The rest of the color variations are combinations of the above colors. Each mutation occurs at a different loci in a chinchilla's genetic code so they can, in theory, all be expressed at the same time, though that chinchilla would be a disaster.

pink white (beige+mosaic)
tan (beige+ebony)
brown velvet (black velvet+beige)

ETA: The Diamond Blue as classified by a breeder in Germany working with them is the combination of a violet and sapphire. It's not a new mutation.

Remind me why the ebs aren't refered to as hetero and homo? I said yes because technically, couldnt it be possible just not readily visible to the eye and thus a bad reference term?

Not sure if the consensus would be on recessive white as it's own color, which was the original question

If you're talking about the Lowe "recessive white," it is actually in the beige series as Tab mentioned, along with Tower, Sullivan, Wellman, and Goldbar.

If you are talking about the California fading white - as far as I know that has not yet been proven to be genetic (inheritable) though there are those working to figure it out.

The Stone White and the Piebald are recessive whites, however I don't know that they are being bred anymore.

As for ebs...
Ebony is not a genotype, it is a phenotype. When you use terms such as hetero and homo, you are implying genotype, but you do not know the exact genotype of your ebs since no one kept diligent records of them when they mixed them all together... with the exception of the Broucke charcoals being bred in the UK. A charcoal is a true homozygous ebony, but it can be as light as a light ebony which some would call "hetero".

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying my post. I think genetics are really interesting and also hope those who know more post.

ETA: they did when I was responding. I saw Tabitha's white at the show and she was a beautiful color. Thanks for the answers.

Last edited:
The list should be as follows:
Standard (grey, no mutation present)
mosaic (this includes wilson white and everything else that is white)
ebony (light, medium and dark...using homo and hetero is incorrect)
beige (hetero and homo)
black velvet
violet
sapphire
goldbar
Sullivan beige
Lowe Recessive white
You're missing charcoal (though the op does list it), which is it's own recessive gene. Charcoal can be combined with any of the above colors, including ebony.

Blue diamond/Viophire is in the U.S., the herd is for sale. :)) It is questionable as to wether it is it's own gene or not as nobody besides the guy in germany, and the guys in UK who line bred to get theirs, have been able to produce it otherwise.

Last edited:
You're missing charcoal (though the op does list it), which is it's own recessive gene. Charcoal can be combined with any of the above colors, including ebony.

I also missed the Wellman beige. I knew I'd miss one or two, always happens that way. I almost forgot to include black velvet. ;)

I had a Lowe Recessive white at the State show and the consensus between the ranchers is that it is actually a recessive beige.

I didn't realize ranchers needed a consensus, it's fairly well known that it's a beige that was mis-named.

If the blue diamond is not going to be considered a mutation, then the pink white shouldn't, just saying.

You can have TONS of different colors, white tan, white saph., TOV white, white violet, TOV violet, TOV saph. TOV tan, beige violet, ... the options are very, very broad

Blue diamond (as defined in this thread by the guy in Germany) and pink white aren't mutations, they are hybrids. They are, however, a color variety, which is what the OP is asking for.

Making a list of all the possible color varieties is too daunting (and a wee bit pointless IMHO) a task to do.

Last edited:
Back