Are there any "Chins for Dummies" guides out there?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christemo

Amelia's Mommy
I'm thinking (thinking... meaning I mentioned it to my boyfriend and he just kind of looked at me) about adding a chinchilla to our family.
I wanted to know if there was any simple "Here's what they need to be happy, here's what not to give them" kind of guide out there. I've been searching and I haven't found anything yet.... of course, I could also be completely missing it somewhere... just got over my first grad school finals week, so my brain's fried.

I just got two chinchillas a week ago, but what helped me to learn more about them, were two books I purchased.*
One is "The Chinchilla Handbook" by Sharon Vanderlip, by Barron's. The second one "A New Owner's Guide to Chinchillas" by Audrey Pavia, by T.F.H. Publications. I personally liked the first one better, because it pretty much covered every topic.*
Also this forum helped me to learn such much more than any book could. Hope this helps a little.

I would sit down and go over all of the FAQs on here. This site (and the Chin Nation site mentioned above) have accurate and up to date information on just about every topic. If you have questions after you read, either start a thread and ask them or do a search. There is so much information on here it is crazy. I have "owned" chins for over 8 years now and I still learn new things from the people on this site all of the time.

I am sure there are decent books on chinchillas out there, I can't really comment because I haven't read them...

:thumbsup:Yup, this site is your best chinchillas for dummies. Its an awesome source to not only all correct information about chins buut accessible, knowledgeable and experienced people to answer questions ! What more could you ask for

Yeah, I don't trust books just because you can't update them like you can online. I know that there's so much wrong information about hedgies out there, and I just wanted to know the best websites for real info. I'll have to keep reading on here! :)

I have "owned" chins for over 8 years now and I still learn new things from the people on this site all of the time.

Its amazing how true that statment is lol. Even after 5 chins though out 5 years, theys till manage to suprise me all time!.

This site has all the info youll probably need, its just a matter of seaching and being able to find it.

Only only asdive as far as 'chins for dummies' is; if you want a basic needs pets or dont want to get to involed... then a chin probably aint for you.
Their is a fair amount to learn about them. Expecaly when your first starting. But well worth it Imo'

Caring for animals is one of my strong suits. I have a 15 year old Persian who recently has gone blind, has to get high blood pressure medication, arthritic, and just had hernia surgery. Trust me, I'm not just for basic needs. :p
Oh, and Amelia gets spoiled rotten... she's incredibly spoiled. :)

Most of the books out there have a ton of misinformation. I would read the FAQs here and check out Chin Nation. Those are the places that will give you the correct information so your chinchilla can lead a long, healthy life.

What they need: Air conditioning, good water, good pellets, good hay, dust, some chew toys, a clean cage that keeps them in, and some attention and patience. Also access to a good chin knowledgeable veterinarian, vet visits can be expensive if needed although they do not require vaccines and routine tests like dogs.
What not to give them: anything they can chew that would be toxic or cause a blockage if in-jested (certain woods-just google chin safe wood list, plastic), "people food", harness, exercise ball, too small/inappropriate wheel (they don't NEED a wheel), they don't need to go outside, they don't need to "play" with other pets/animals.

Basically that's it, they are not for everyone but I do not think chinchillas are high maintenance pets.

If you are looking for more detailed info the Animal Planet book is very good; the other 2 books mentioned are also good. Beware though for some reason books can never get the colors of chinchillas right which amazes me since the rest of the info can be good and it's not that hard to learn the colors.

Chinchillanation.com and chinchillachronicles.com-you have to pay for the chronicles illness info but in my opinion the info is pretty good along with the pictures.

Caring for animals is one of my strong suits. I have a 15 year old Persian who recently has gone blind, has to get high blood pressure medication, arthritic, and just had hernia surgery. Trust me, I'm not just for basic needs. :p
Oh, and Amelia gets spoiled rotten... she's incredibly spoiled. :)

wow..

Latest posts

Back