Are kiwi vines safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iayla

Does anybody know if chins can have kiwi wood? I have a northern variety that can survive even Maine winters (where my plants originally came from) but the fruit is supposedly the same - nutritionally - as normal kiwi like you buy in the grocery store. It even comes from the same plant genus (Actinidia)

Do you think it'd fall under the same category as mulberry & grape? It grows as a very sturdy vine just like grape, and also eventually thickens into branches that are almost tree-like, just like grape vines. The few things I could find online compare the fruit to plums but without the pit/stone. So in theory I was wondering if they are like apples, pears and peaches. Peach wood is a no because of the stone, but apple & pear is ok. Or does that not make any sense?

I couldnt find anything about it online and I tried searching for quite a while. Anybody else have an opinion?

If it helps anyone to search for the answer with me, the variety I have is called (scientific name) Actinidia kolomikta from family Actinidiaceae. I think the nursery I bought them from called them "Artic Beauty" tho I could be mistaken. Artic Beauty is supposed to have pink in the leaves and mine have always been solid green *shrug*

I'm debating holding onto the vines I trimmed back today, or just tossing them into the Yard Waste pile. Thanks to anyone with advice either way.
~Barb~

Latest posts

Back