Are Bird perches OK?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheri7

The other day I saw a bird perch in the pet store...it was fairly large and sort of looked like driftwood and had a wingnut attached.

The tag said it was sandblasted Grapevine.

I've read that Grapevine is ok for chins. Do you think this would be an OK to put in my chins cage?:confused:

Yep, a grapevine perch would be fine for your chins cage! Woods that are safe for birds are also safe for chins.

ETA - Hello and welcome!

Last edited:
I have manzanita perches in my cages and they are great. If it's an okay wood/material for chins I'd say go for it :).

I have had some grapevine from the petstore in my girls' cages for almost 3 years now, it should be fine :).

Grapevine is good! The only issue I had with it is that it didn't last long. I much prefer manzanita (which is often used for bird pirches/toys) because it lasts MUCH longer. I believe it's the third hardest wood?

Grape vine is absolutely fine.

For the people more experienced than me, how about Dragonwood? I noticed most birdie perches are made of this and the wood lists I've looked at dont have it listed at all.

The flagstone perches and bird perches are both great. I prefer the manzanita bird perches because the wood is tougher and lasts a bit longer.

Do you have a picture of the concrete perches? I would think that if they're smooth it would be okay, but if it's rough like the type to trim nails, I wouldn't use it.

You mean like this?
picture.php

I wish I could find them with the bark left on. I'd have them all over the place. The guys love it.

I actually didn't have any thing in particular in mind. I just have a bird, and when I buy her perches I have always wondered if they would be okay for chins too.

Back