Appropriate cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aurora

Quill Lover
So I read somewhere that the recommended size cage is 18x16x18, is this correct?
The cage I have currently, that formerly housed my hedgehog, is 22 deep, 19 high and 33 wide. Is this an OK size for a chin? Two chins?
It does have a plastic bottom, which I know some chins attempt to chew and it has the white wiring.
Any thoughts are appreciated! :cute:

I personally think 18"x16"x18" is a bit small for a pet chin. The other cage you mentioned is fine for at least one chin, maybe two. I'd avoid the plastic bottoms just to be safe however.

18"x24"x18" is a standard size cage that is acceptable for a chinchilla....I don't like to go smaller than that. My holding cages are smaller but they are for temporary use or for chins that just can't deal with a larger cage.

Sometimes it isn't about cage size, it's about the cage being appropriate for chinchillas. Do you happen to have a picture of the cage you are wanting to use?

Here's the cage in question.
We certainly are opening to purchasing a new one.. .kind of think we might anyway as its a plastic base.

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 34
That one is not terrible if you wanted to drape fleece over the base and then attach the wire part (if thats even possible) but I personally prefer larger, all metal cages. Also, definitely don't use that wheel or hide house in whatever cage you choose :) If you can afford it the ferret nation cages are a favorite for lots of us on here

I'd take out the wheel and the little igloo, of course. The plastic is alright ONLY if the chin isn't chewing on it. I've used cages like that when I have rescues come in without any issues, except for a few that chewed holes in the bottom and escaped.

I'd take out the wheel and the little igloo, of course. The plastic is alright ONLY if the chin isn't chewing on it. I've used cages like that when I have rescues come in without any issues, except for a few that chewed holes in the bottom and escaped.

Agreed, take out the plastic wheel and house. The bottom is not preferable, especially if they love plastic. If your chin ignores it, it should be fine.

Yup, ditto with taking out the plastic wheel and igloo.

To be totally honest, and yes I spoil my pets, that cage looks to be a bit small. My "small" cage that I keep Taz in right now since he's a baby is 36"x24"18". His normal cage when he gets a bit older is 48"x36"x24".

Maybe you can add some ledges and make your chin's cage a little more fun? Maybe a tube and a ledge or two.

Thanks all! Yes I meant to mention its not set up for a chin... just still sitting from my recently passed Hedgie. :( So yes I would be removing the igloo and wheel.
Thank you for the input... I'll most likely just get a new all metal cage. Hubby and I always err on the side of caution with our little critters...and plastic chewing (and escaping too lol) doesnt sound like a good time lol. :)
I've seen alot of you on here recommending the FN cages so I will definitely look into those.

To be totally honest, and yes I spoil my pets, that cage looks to be a bit small. My "small" cage that I keep Taz in right now since he's a baby is 36"x24"18". His normal cage when he gets a bit older is 48"x36"x24".

Cinder, we are the same way... always going for the largest we can accommodate for our critters. :) So thank you for this...we were thinking it was a bit on the smaller side as well.

Latest posts

Back