Applying a fleece liner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emabee9

Okay, well I am getting a FN soon (Christmas) and we are getting a baseboard thing to surround it. How would you apply fleece to the levels with it? How would you do it without it? Thanks a ton!

Fleece is used instead of bedding, it needs to be taken out and cleaned every couple days or as needed. So, you don't want to permanently attach it. I'm not sure what you mean by a baseboard thing. Is it for the inside or the outside of the cage? Either way you should be able to do liners, either just like normal, or under the edge of the baseboard. There are vendors in the classified section that sell the liners for the FN or you can make your own if you know how to sew.

How do you apply a fleece liner with and without a little "poop guard"? Thanks! :)

Doesn't the fleece stay wet with pee? Wouldn't that be bad?

I use a metal litter pan for both floors. My chinchilla's 100% litter trained and whenever he needs to pee he runs and jumps into the pan. :) In the first few weeks when I got my ferret nation, and I used cardboard boxes, he sometimes peed on the fleece, but he is smart so he quickly learned to use the litter pan and he has never once peed on the fleece since. :) I change the bedding in the litter pans every other day and I wash the pans with really hot water

Last edited:
How do you apply a fleece liner with and without a little "poop guard"? Thanks! :)

You don't "apply" it at all. You make a liner (or three) to fit your cage and you lay it in. You cannot "apply" the fleece because you need to change it every so often to clean it.

I've been thinking about switching to fleece, but my chin likes to eat her bedding, whether it be pine or the care fresh, so I don't think I could litter train her. What would I do in a situation like that? Because I've been wondering the same thing about the fleece staying wet.

I've been thinking about switching to fleece, but my chin likes to eat her bedding, whether it be pine or the care fresh, so I don't think I could litter train her. What would I do in a situation like that? Because I've been wondering the same thing about the fleece staying wet.

Every time, I put new aspen bedding in, my chinchilla eats some pieces. I was worried he would keep eating all of it, but no, he stops, and he chews on sticks instead. I don't think chinchillas would sit there and eat all the bedding in the litter pan, they will eventually stop.

Every time, I put new aspen bedding in, my chinchilla eats some pieces. I was worried he would keep eating all of it, but no, he stops, and he chews on sticks instead. I don't think chinchillas would sit there and eat all the bedding in the litter pan, they will eventually stop.

Oh alright. I was just worried is all. I don't want her to eat too much and then have to make a trip to the vet.

Yeah, I was worried as well, but I distract him and he really never eats bedding except for the first couple of minutes I put new bedding in

Mimi doesn't try to eat fresh bedding, but more so ones she's already peed on.

oh, may be try distracting her with like a treat and lots of toys? The corner metal pans are great because they're the perfect size and they can't pull any bedding out, and if they would want to eat bedding, they would have to go in there and there's not much bedding in there anyways just enough for them to pee in.

oh, may be try distracting her with like a treat and lots of toys? The corner metal pans are great because they're the perfect size and they can't pull any bedding out, and if they would want to eat bedding, they would have to go in there and there's not much bedding in there anyways just enough for them to pee in.

Hm, perhaps. Thank you for the advice! c:

Back