apple blossoms?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbur10

apple blossoms ok treat or not? why?
just wondering as i have seen many give rose buds ect... but havnt heard or been able to find ne thing on apple blossoms...

That's because they're not really available. If you pick the blossom off an apple tree it will not grow an apple there. Otherwise, it's an edible flower and is occasionally used for cooking garnish. It warns in my cookbook to eat in moderation as they have cyanide precursors (apple seeds contain cyanide).

I pruned my apple trees on Thursday and they have buds/blossoms and so I gave those to my chinchillas as a treat and they are very very fond of them. :)

Yes i realize it won't grow an apple, while that may be unwanted for some people, my tree is very large and very messy, the apples are not the tastiest variety little sour, less apples the better... Lol
That's interesting about the cyanide ...

I would not use them due to the cyanide. The cyanide is not present in the apple wood, but is present in the blossoms and seeds of the apples.

Like Spoof said about the cyanide...The human body can detoxify the cyanide in small doses, but it is deadly in large doses. A chin's body is much much smaller, and we don't even know if they can detoxify the cyanide, so there is NO way I would risk it.

I was unaware of the whole cyanide ting in the blossoms when I fed them to my chinchillas. But its been a few days since feeding them that, and they are completely fine. Didn't know if that would help in knowing whether or not they can detoxify it.

I was unaware of the whole cyanide ting in the blossoms when I fed them to my chinchillas. But its been a few days since feeding them that, and they are completely fine. Didn't know if that would help in knowing whether or not they can detoxify it.

You probably shouldn't just assume that something is okay for your chins to eat with out going through an experienced breeder or a vet; or both.

I am a very experienced breeder and NEVER came to the thought of having apple blossoms be bad and not the apple branches.

I will not feed my chinchillas anymore apple blossoms. I have been browsing the internet looking for answers on the apple blossoms for sure not being safe, but some say they are safe, some say they aren't......even on some rabbit forums they say that they aren't safe. Does anyone know if the leaves are just as questionable as the blossoms.? Thanks

It has nothing to do with chinchilla breeding experience, I know that stuff because I cook. On the other hand, why risk the chance that something like this could knock out fertility in your entire herd?

Chins don't need treats. Treats are for humans to feel good. (It's true!)

And then asked about the leaves.
Someone else asked about the leaves, not the OP.

And that was the post I was referring to, the one right above mine, asking if leaves were safe since blossoms are potentially not.

Interesting before I knew any of this a week ago my hammy ate 6 of them ... Still good still happy.... He's so tinny if they contained cyanide at all would it not have killed him? Any thing I found on the topic said they 'may' contain cyanide 'precursors' ... Tho I would not give them to any one hammy, chin alike... Just to be safe now that I know that...

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume that if something can go wrong, it's best to stay away. If you have such an unruly apple tree though, I bet your chinchillas would love to get their hands on some cleaned apple sticks! :p

I was just wondering if it was the same with the leaves as it is obviously not with the apple wood itself. I'm not feeding it to them anyways, I was just wondering.

Back