Anyone know what Blue Cloud is made from?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you what is not in it, lol. The bag says it does not contain arsenic, lime, or silica. Blue Cloud is a by-product of mining down in Saugus (Southern California) so it has whatever minerals are deep in the earth of Saugus... I wonder if anyone has an MSDS for Blue Cloud.

Blue Cloud is a by-product of mining down in Saugus (Southern California) so it has whatever minerals are deep in the earth of Saugus... I wonder if anyone has an MSDS for Blue Cloud.
Nope on the MSDS and nope on the mining - he's moved his operations and must be doing surface collection because he doesn't have to file as a mine (and therefore no hazards or MSDS). We called and asked when the PDZ/BC/BS debate went down last year.

Here's some before and after. The stuff in the bottom of the jar is from the Colby herd that went out in the 80's. The stuff on top is from the 'new mine'. I have a severe reaction to the new stuff, unfortunately.

Maybe clay? Rock? What kind?
My boss at the soil research lab in Idaho said it was a volcanic ash compound. He gave me a sample of some he found in Idaho that looked and felt identical, but was brown.

Attachments

• BlueCloud.jpg
    BlueCloud.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Im not sure if blue cloud is but in the wild, chinchillas bathed in volcanic ash, at least what i've heard. So clue cloud is maybe finely milled volcanic rock or ash.

Here's Doughboy testing the brown substitute. It really did act like Blue Cloud. The funny part was that sample was over 30 years old. Bill collected it for his thesis and was tickled that after all these years someone wanted it... and that he remembered where it was stored.

Pretty cool.

Attachments

• BC1.jpg
    BC1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 29
I have some Volcanic ash from Mt. St. Helens right after it happened in 1980 I think it was. It is very fine like blue cloud but nowdays I'm sure it's all mixed up with pebbles and rocks

Back