Anyone else think that Pokemon show is based on a Chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxleo

My boyfriend pointed out something the other day that was so fitting I can't believe I never thought of it. While he was previously referring to them as "rats" (much to my annoyance - he didn't like them because he was concerned about the dust getting everywhere and he is kind of a freak about that - we have about seven vacuum cleaners of various origin), when he finally spent some time with the boys, he noted, "Hey, they are just like that Pokemon cartoon thing!"

I realized he was right, That stupid Pokemon cartoon's main character appears to be at least based on a chinchilla, as Pikachu has similar body shape, tail and certainly SOUNDS like one! (mine are all very chatty chins.) With the kids name being Ash, and the critter spending much time sitting up on his shoulder, I have to wonder if this wasn't inspired by Chin. Anybody know trivia on the show, and how it might have come about? I'd love to know if that is true. :hmm:

Well, you've seen the Pokémon, Minccino? He is a chinchilla!

ibgodk.jpg

ive made this comment about chin/pickachu before myself. Im sure many others have. But if you look at a lot of the Gen1 pokemon, a lot of them seemed based off of something specific.

pikachu_by_caridea-d3i4jd5.png

His name specifically means "Sparkle Squeak", squeak referring to the sound made by mice. He is an electric mouse and based from them. He just rides on Ash's shoulder because it's cute looking (It really is!) and they needed him to have a lot of personality since he is the show's mascot... Something that has obviously succeeded considering how insanely popular he is.

This is actually really funny =D I was just telling my girlfriend the other day my chin is like my little Pokémon . My other friend she needs a Pokéball lol.

I have a friend who always says Chimi looks like a pikachu, I do agree. She's like a really sassy pikachu with better fur.

oooh. a Pokemon and chinchilla topic! <33 what's best, i see Pikachu!! <3

and aww. Pokémon isn't stupid. ):

http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Pikachu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pika

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikachu#Characteristics

even though Pikachu may look like a chinchilla, it isn't. Pikachu is a mouse, though it is believed that it is also based off of a pika. one of the articles clearly states that the creator based the first generation's Pokémon on things he saw on a day-to-day basis. chinchillas weren't as popular as they are now, so it's very unlikely that he saw a chinchilla sometime before he submitted the final drafts.
there are, however, two chinchilla Pokémon now- Minccino and it's evolved form Cinccino (as shown above). :)

i also noticed chinchillas are starting to make even more appearances in other tv shows, cartoons, and games.
for example, in a MMORPG i've played (called MapleStory), they introduced a new item this year- a chinchilla chair- a chair that heals HP/MP and looks so adorable! :)
in an American Dad episode, during one of the Halloween episodes, they showed a kid dressed as a chinchilla.

Pikachu and chinchillas ftw! <3
teehee

Pikachu and all his evolutions and such are based off mice. I believe in the Pokedex is says like "Pikachu is a mouse pokemon" But they do look kind of similar!

Someone already pointed out the chinchilla pokemon, and even though this is a chinchilla thread I kind of want to point out there is also a hedgehog pokemon now.

Minccino
572.png

Shaymin
shaymin.jpg

I don't know all your ages, but I grew up with Pokemon and still regularly play the games. They're loads of fun

I always thought Pikachu was a Momonga (Japanese Dwarf Flying Squirrel).

Well he's cute anyways!!

Ok I have to laugh at this. My son was really into Pokémon when he was young. He is almost 17 now. Our new chinchilla is his. We were playing with him last night and while watching him he reminded me of his obsession as a child. We both laughed when I brought it up.

Sandslash is also kinda based off a hedgehog. well, it's based off a hedgehog, a porcupine, and a couple other animals. :p

i grew up with Pokémon as well, and have recently been playing Pokémon X. =] kinda addicted 'til i complete it. too bad the 3DS dies fairly quickly though. heh =P

they made a momonga-like Pokémon last generation! :D it's Emolga!

I was going to post about the chinchilla pokemon but then I saw people already have.

I agree that chinchillas have become a LOT more popular lately!

I was walking around campus the other day and I overheard a girl behind me talking about her new chinchilla! I was tempted to strike up a conversation but I felt awkward interrupting them.

I've also seen costumes for chinchillas on a shopping site I frequently go on (wanelo).

if i overhead someone talking about their new/current chinchillas, i would politely interrupt them due to my excitement of knowing someone else has one. likewise, if someone (another chinchilla owner) overhead me talking about mine, i would like them to strike up a conversation. :p

If you ever watch the original 2 shows and pay attention to pikachus attitude, aside from not being scared of everything, it rly will start to remind you of a chin. I cant help but smile/laugh any time i see it.

Back