Anyone else gluten-free? need recipes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

chinchuckles
So I've just started a new diet to see how it affects my health:

Gluten-free
Yeast-free
Potato/Corn-free (including syrups/starches/etc)
Tomato-free (I'm just allergic to them)
Sugar-limit
Dairy-limit

I don't expect anyone to have a similar diet, but if anyone knows any gluten-free recipes, I can always use substitutes for the other ingredients.

Thanks in advance! :)

Kudos to you! It's going to be a tough road but if you stick with it the payoffs are worth the extra work.

I've taken on a similar challenge as not eating wheat products seems to double my energy. I normally avoid dairy. Almost all yeast is in gluten based products so I guess I naturally avoid that.

Best advice I can give you is learn how basic seasonings work. Even go so far as to get one of those little countertop herb gardens - you'll be stunned at what flavors they add. One of my all time favorites is lemongrass.

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, stir fry things, make a lot of soups, nothing is as good as making home-made chicken or turkey stock out of the bones. I found a local guy that sells honey, I use that to sweeten things. Right now my satsuma tree is putting out oranges like mad and you can make a nice orange stir fry using rice noodles, bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, any type of meat (or none at all), grate a little of the orange zest in there and juice the rest in - sometimes I throw in pulp and all and let it reduce... mmm....

Right now I have a terrible craving for cordon bleaus - can make those with ham or chicken, a little cheese and broccoli, bake in the oven... :D

True baking is a lot harder. I have always loved to bake and it is miserable working with non-gluten products as gluten is what binds breads and cookies together. You'll find the non-gluten flour very expensive.

Once a month a friend and I go to a grocery store and try to find something we've never cooked with before and cook with it. Usually a veggie or fruit or something unusual. It keeps it interesting.

Good luck!

I like http://www.vegetariantimes.com/. There is a checkbox when searching for recipes and I think all of those options (besides the tomato allergy) are available to check. I used to get this magazine and have tried lots of their recipes. Most are pretty easy to make and delicious!

I eat a similar diet. I do allow potatoes and yeast. I eat a lot of rice pastas. Chebe makes products made from tapioca that are all dairy free with substitution in recipes. There's a crock pot blog called crockpot365.blogspot.com. All of her recipes are gluten free. Not sure about the rest of the limitations. Check out adventures of a gluten free mom. Hers are awesome. Also check out the book "Gluten Free on a Shoestring." It's got all kinds of advice for eating gf and how to not go broke doing so. Save all of your receipts since it's the beginning of the year and there's an available tax deduction. Feel free to message me for any specific recipes or product recommendations! My entire extended family is gf, so we have one who owns a bakery, one who's written a cookbook, we're all excellent cooks and can usually come up with a "gluten tasting" version of anything. Good luck!!

Thanks everyone for the responses! Sorry I am replying 8 months later, but all of these responses were very helpful to me as I got started. I went to all the websites and checked out all the products, so thanks! I'm still gluten, corn, and yeast free, but I've tweaked my diet a bit and am trying to find out if there is anything else I need to eliminate or can add back in. I've found that Soy and Gluten are the worst for me to come in contact with. Since January I've been forced to learn how to cook, which is really great, because now I actually eat fruits and vegetables and hardly ever eat anything processed. I've eliminated my anxiety, depression, and migraines by at least 80%. Last year at this time I was taking 5-7 different medications, had really debilitating anxiety and depression, and was having an average of 15 migraines a month. That's really no way to live! Now I am down to one medication, which I hope to wean off this next year. I have been having 1 or 2 migraines a month, which may seem like a lot, but for me it is an amazing difference.

Anyway I am back on here telling you guys this, because I wasn't aware that wheat and soy are in so many household products, so this has been my last source of elimination. Just yesterday I thought to check out the label on my chinchilla pellets, and wouldn't you know it, wheat, soy and corn are all in there! I guess that makes sense, but I had never really thought about it before. I give them Purina, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there are any chin foods out there that don't have these ingredients, especially Wheat. I'm sure these things are not necessary for chins, but are probably just in there as fillers because they are such cheap ingredients. I don't have Celiac so it's not absolutely vital that I find a wheat-free pellet for them, but I am interested to know if it exists.

I have never looked into the paleo diet and it is really interesting to see that by trial and error I have ended up there. I'd say my only concession is the rice flours because I just love to bake.

Rainey, I liked your nut flour suggestions in the cookie thread and I'm excited to do some new test baking!

Primal is basically what I do. I how easy it is to find recipes for it these days! menagerie thanks for the links, I hadn't heard of balancedbites or fastpaleo! Spoof, yes nut flours are awesome! My favorite dessert these days though is just full fat coconut milk blended with strawberries. So good!

I have never looked into the paleo diet and it is really interesting to see that by trial and error I have ended up there. I'd say my only concession is the rice flours because I just love to bake.

Rainey, I liked your nut flour suggestions in the cookie thread and I'm excited to do some new test baking!
There are lots of recipes that use either almond or coconut flour. I made some awesome coconut raspberry muffins, I got the recipe from fastpaleo.

Primal is basically what I do. I how easy it is to find recipes for it these days! menagerie thanks for the links, I hadn't heard of balancedbites or fastpaleo! Spoof, yes nut flours are awesome! My favorite dessert these days though is just full fat coconut milk blended with strawberries. So good!
I eat full fat coconut milk with raspberries and blueberries. YUMMY.

There are lots of recipes that use either almond or coconut flour. I made some awesome coconut raspberry muffins, I got the recipe from fastpaleo.
The recipe, since someone made me go search for it... and spend the entire morning drooling! :))

Latest posts

Back