Any one give vitamin c to chins on regular basis

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

I heard chins can really benefit from this vitamin and should be given 2-3 times a week. Just wondering about this? Thanks

The pellet we are using does have vit c added so it can also be used for guinea pigs but other herbivores shouldn't need it. They can manufacture their own vit c from even dry foods. Humans, apes, and guinea pigs are the only animals that can't make vit c and require a large quantity of fresh vegetation. While it's true extra water soluble vitamins like c are very difficult to overdose you can create a dependence on them. The body gets used to eliminating the excess and when you drop back down to a normal amount you can actually cause a deficiency for a short while. For that reason it's best not to macrodose a vitamin long term without a proven need for it. We only use the vit c pellet because it has better quality ingredients than the nutrena rabbit pellets we were using.

No, there is no need to add vit. c. As previous mentionned, it is already in your feed.

Although, you can give it to them here and there, it will not hurt.

There have been no formal studies reviewed by peer groups that Vit C is beneficial to chinchillas nor have there been any studies at all that chins make their own Vit C-Dr. Crossley questions whether chins make enough Vit C on their own and that malo could be a form of scurvy. There has been anecdotal evidence that it does help by building up the connective tissue, I personally seen it myself. It does not help root elongation, only the supporting structures of the teeth.

I've used it with chins that are sick or have been malnourished or are elderly and has helped with those chins for sure. With healthy chins on a good diet it won't really make much of a difference to give a vitamin C supplement, there should be enough to maintain health in a good chin pellet.

With some chins I give chewable vitamin C as a treat. Older chins seem to benefit the most from this, chins over the age of maybe 10 to 12.

Back