Any improvements?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartsx2

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and just recently got my little guy (you can see him on the top right of the picture). I have ledges, pellets, hay, dust bath, running saucer (not a wheel because I was told it can hurt their back), treats, etc. He jumps around with ease and has learned very quickly that he will get treats if I can pet him (just a minute or two). I pulled all this together quickly and so would like to know what I am doing right or wrong. ALSO... would it be better to get another chinchilla so he's not alone all the time?

Thank you!
Denise

Attachments

• Twitch's Home.jpg
    Twitch's Home.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 61
It's looking good but one thing you want to keep out of a chin cage is plastic. Also, you don't want to keep the dust bath in the cage 24/7. The chin can spoil it (peeing in it for example) and too much dusting can dry a chin out, especially in the winter months (depending on where you live). The flying saucer that you bought is too small for chins, also it's plastic. The flying saucer that works for chins is by quality cage and is made of metal and much larger. Wheels are safe for chins if they are big enough and not plastic or mesh (eg. 15in diameter chin spin).

Love the size of the cage and the wood shelves are awesome! Plastic is the main danger I see

Edit: you might also find that your chin will chew through the plastic water bottle, a lot of people switch to glass for that reason.

If you think that those clothes pins will keep those sliding doors shut you may want to re-consider, they are just chew toys to a chin, you will need something metal to clip or wire them shut with or you may have a "prison break".

You'll want to get some wire and wire the small doors shut. Wrap the wire around several times and try to tuck the ends and cut them off as shot as possible. My cages have small doors and we had to wire each door in at least 2 places to prevent escapes. I also agree with everything above.
Getting a second chin is something that you have to decide on your own, but some things to consider are if you get a second chin it would need to be quarantined for 30 days in a separate cage in a separate room, then proper intros would need to be done over the course of a couple weeks. You will always need to keep a second cage on hand because chins can turn on each other with no notice and may need to be separated. There is also a chance that the two wouldn't get along in the first place.
I'm not sure what kind of bedding you have on the bottom, but if it's carefresh make sure you little one isn't eating it at all, it can expand in the intestines and cause impaction.
Overall it looks like you're off to a great start and have come to the right place to get tons of advice and experience.

Hi,

This forum is a great source to help guide you.

I was thinking the same thing about the plastic. I did the same thing when Lola came to us as an overnight guest that stayed.

I went through 2 plastic wheels in a month before I was able to find sources for chin safe wheels. Browsing the internet is not always easy. I got the Chinspin 15" wheel from Quality Cage and it has worked out well. They also have a great saucer that is metal.

Superpet has a great glass waterbottle that has a double bearing system that is chin safe and doesn't drip.

If you want a contained dust bath there is a ceramic Chinchillabath that is the shape of an egg with chinchilla ears that works well, but any glass or metal container is fine.

After being directed to this forum from the UK forum I joined I find it easier to find great chin vendors that I know items are safe.

Enjoy your little one let us know how things are going.

Cage & Accessories

Oh, thank you so much for all the great suggestions! Although I haven’t had him for very long, he hasn’t chewed on the plastic yet as best I can tell… seems to be chewing on the ledges and a few large parrot toys I put in there. Great suggestion for the cage doors… I will get that switched out right away!
Will also take out the dust bath and just add it back twice a week (I live in Illinois… cold climate…).
Can you please post links to the websites that have the non-plastic items you mentioned? That would be really helpful…!

Behavior
So, he is VERY skittish and the only way I can interact at all is to give him a treat and then pet him. Any handling efforts are like putting a cat in a cage. Any time I interact though, I reward with a treat… not sure how else to do it. Any suggestions for taming?

Roommate?
Also, I get my taxes done by a lady who has several chinchillas and have had the impression over the years that she might be willing to let one or two go to a new home. My tax appt. is this Sunday… so there is a potential adoption coming… Please help! My guy is young and I know her guys (not sure of sex) are a few years at least. Your thoughts?

Sorry for the long post…Thank you for your help!!!

Latest posts

Back