Anemia

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obcsed

I have been struggling with a sick chin for a couple of months now. See my other thread in chin emergencies. Took him to another vet today and finally got some blood work done. Everything came back in normal ranges except for a high glucose level and anemia. Liver, kidney enzymes and WBC are all good.

Vet thinks the elevated glucose was due to stress and we will be keeping an eye on it. He wants Pika to start taking a vitamin/iron supplement. Can anyone recommend something safe for chins?

To be honest, I think we are all grasping at straws here. The vet suggested some supplement for cats and dogs. I can't see that going over too well with a chin.

Maybe you could give a supplement 2 to 3 times a week, every other day or every third day. You do have to be careful with iron, it is easy to overdo it with iron supplements. Greens like dandelion greens and even alfalfa are good sources of iron that are easily absorbed. Do you think maybe you could give a little more alfalfa or some dried dandelion? That could help a little with getting more iron into his diet.

You can use herbs that contain iron: nettle, dandelion, red raspberry. Also, you can offer a rose hip (or a piece of a crushed rose hip) at the same time to enhance absorption of iron.

If you prefer, I can formulate a supplement for your chin. You can send me a pm or email if you are interested :))

Latest posts

Back