Alfalfa

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Sumiko. While I feed all alfalfa - pellets, cubes, and loose - I do not recommend it for pet chins.

I agree, a alfalfa only diet for a pet chin would not be cool, but adding loose alfalfa to a timothy hay is not bad in my opinion. Like I said, I feed a 80/20 timothy and alfalfa mix and I don't consider that a detriment to their health.

Well, if most think that alfalfa added to timmy hay is beneficial to pet chins then I guess I'll pick some up and mix it in even if I can't stand the smell of alfalfa. :/

So, what are the benefits of giving a bit of alfalfa to pet chins?

It has more nutritional value than grass hays and chins snarf it up. Since chins do not need high nutrition hay as a staple, they need low nutrition high fiber as a staple, so I think of the alfalfa as a treat hay.

I think it's beneficial to offer some alfalfa hay. Most pellets are alfalfa based, but anything powdered, chopped finely looses nutrients fast. My chins get some loose alfalfa hay daily, I think it's important to offer alfalfa hay at least 3 times a week.

I prefer loose hay because it gives chins the opportunity to engage in foraging behavior (I also mix some blossoms, herbs, roots) and coarse, fibrous stalks wear down teeth properly. Quality loose alfalfa hay, rose hips and some herbs are crucial to prevent dental problems. Alfalfa is a broad spectrum nutritive herb, excellent source of vitamins, minerals, even contains natural fluoride, flavonoids, every essential animo acid, numerous digestive enzymes and co-enzymes.

I also offer several grass hays, mostly for teeth wear, various textures wear teeth differently. Some alfalfa hay is actually higher in fiber than timothy. Timothy hay is a low nutrient dense forage, so chins consume a lot trying to meet the nutrient requirements, it's good for dental health and for the digestive system.

Speaking to a vet after Slippers died of stone complications, I decided it wasnt worth it to me to feed that much alfalfa. I do feed it now and again, but not often. I just wont risk having that issue again.

I think a lot of the misinformation and bias against alfalfa has come from the horse world as well. I don't know what the best mix is for chins, but it probably varies depend on the quality of the hays in question. Out here on the west coast alfalfa is fed to horses fairly often and the quality is quite high. On the east coast feeding alfalfa is frowned on a lot more, but when I saw the alfalfa they had available on a visit I wouldn't feed it to anything ever. A lot of the difference comes from the drying and the amount of time the hay can dry between cutting and baling. I think with pet chins, there is no reason to feed 100% alfalfa, but I don't think that alfalfa should be completely avoided either.

*Shrug* I always got the impression from the forum that it's bad...so I started buying Timothy only hay and stuck with it ever since?

My chins love the alfalfa cubes but would never touch a 100% timothy cube. I give a couple of cubes of 100% alfalfa a week just for them to gnaw on and they love it. Maybe that would work for you Carol Anne, I don't think they smell bad.

Aside from nutritional, the only other reason I can see of timmy hay being recommended over alfalfa is the different textures for their teeth.

Chinchillas are hindgut fermentors (they have a caecum) and they can get their energy from fiber and simple sugars. Too much protein will upset the microbial population that digests their food and without this balance of microbes their digestive tract cannot function as well. They can't digest protein very well since the microbes use it to survive(which is why they eat their own poo...so they can digest it again and get more protein *fun fact*). Also, high-fiber foods wear down teeth better. Timothy hay is less nutritous and high fiber compared to alfalfa. So when giving an alfalfa-based pellet, timothy hay should be given as well.

Carbohydrates and complex sugars can easily upset the microbial population as well (causing certain bacteria to overpopulate the other species), which is why fruit and veggies are frowned upon.

It's been a semester or two (or three, or...)since my A&P classes as well as my nutrition & feed classes so please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly confident I got the gist of it.

Im not sure if its just me but my chin will not touch alfalfa... Ive tried two different types one looked like a piece of poop and the other is cubes and he just goes for his loose timothy

i know this isnt really the right thread to post this in, but more people will see it....
i have a GIANT bag of fresh cut alfalfa that my boy wont eat. if anyone would like it i cant bring it by, or ship! im going to add it to the supplies for sale page now.

Latest posts

Back