Alfalfa hay/calcium for pregnant or mother chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyastounded

<---Apple Tree Enthusiast
I give my chins a pinch of alfalfa hay daily to add variety. I was curious if I had to stop that for when a chin becomes pregnant, is pregnant, or has recently given birth. I have been told that alfalfa hay is high in calcium and I remember hearing something about pregnant/mother chins and calcium being a bad combo.

Should I stop giving alfalfa hay to a pregnant or mother chin? Also, could you guys clear up what pregnant/mother chin + calcium = ?

I give all my chins alfalfa because I use a timothy based pellet. As far as moms, with nursing moms it can be used to stimulate milk production.

Some moms, if they aren't in great shape to begin with or if they have large litters (and sometimes first time moms), may end up with white teeth because of a calcium depletion. If that happens, some folks give a small piece of Tums to the mom's or a piece of cuttlebone.

Thank you very much! How about calcium or alfalfa hay with pregnant moms? Does alfalfa even really have a high amount of calcium in it?

Alfalfa hay has a higher ratio of Calcium:phosphorous compared to grass hays which have about equal amounts.

I give alfalfa to my pregnant/nursing moms and growers. It has a lot of phytonutrients for chin bodies that are growing and for mommas utilizing a lot of calcium as in the instance of milk production.

Alrighty, so when I become aware of her being pregnant, I should up the alfalfa intake to around 50/50 and continue that until she has weaned the kits at the 8 week mark?

A breeding female is any female of breeding age that is currently in breeding, so yes, the pregnant females get straight alfalfa hay. Nursing mothers get straight alfalfa hay. Growing youngsters get straight alfalfa hay and even the males in breeding get straight alfalfa hay from sharing their females' hay.

Interesting. So when I finally put my two chins together, you see no problem with me giving straight alfalfa hay to the pair and then continue giving it to the female when I separate her from the male before/after giving birth? Note that I use Oxbow pellets

No, there is no problem with that. The general worry with less variety is that a diet high in calcium could potentially cause bladder stones. More recent research showed that a lack of water intake and genetic predisposition to developing stones play larger roles in the development of stones in an animal than diet. Of course, if a chin does develop stones, changing the diet would be a necessary step towards helping prevent future stones.

I know many ranchers that feed alfalfa based pellets with alfalfa hay and have done so for many years. There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering the grass hays, but for females carrying kits and nursing, I prefer to give straight alfalfa.

Latest posts

Back