Age to tag?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinsNdobermans

Humble Acres Chinchillas
We are going to start tagging ears this year.

I just have one question - at what age do you tag kits? Do you tag them all, or only potential showers/breeders? Obviously if you wholesale, you don't tag those kits right? We don't wholesale, but that seems like it'd be undesirable, right?

I only tag the ones I show and I tag them when I start prepping them, about 4 weeks before their first show, so the youngest I have tagged is about 4 months. However, I've had a LOT of standards born this year and will be expecting more, it's getting to the point where I have to wean three standards together. I may have to start tagging weanlings just to tell them apart.

I usually only tag those that go to shows or those I keep for breeding. It makes keeping track of who carriers a sapphire gene easier. Sharpie marks in the ears works really well for telling weanlings apart. I will also tag any that I sell, if the buyer wants me to, though most pet people don't want ear tags.

I've never liked the sharpie method because you have to replace the mark so often. I trim tails instead, but that doesn't work if you have more than two together. =p

I asked my husband to get me some tags an an applicator for my birthday, which is in two weeks. :p

Two years ago he bought me my show light setup.

I'm so obsessed.

I tag all my weanlings that I plan on holding back for show. I wean my kits in groups and I have mostly standards born here so it's necessary in order to tell them all apart!

I have on some, but some I don't. Doesn't seem to make a difference either way. But having it not hang off keeps the other weanlings from trying to play with it.

Latest posts

Back