Advice please?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chy1820

chy1820
I have a quick question? i have 4 male chins in the same cage and they started to fight the other day. I do have a female in the same room in a different cage could they possiblely be fighting because of her? I didnt think about it until this morning that she might be in heat? I have read that its hard to tell when a female is in heat but could this be a possibility? I havent had any problems with the 4 males until now.

Some people do have problems housing male cagemates in the same room as females. It could also be a squabble amongst the males and completely unrelated to the female.

Can you move her (or them) into another room?

What is it like when they fight? Is it chasing or just some angry kacking?

All chins have little tiffs here and there...that's just how they communicate that they are unhappy with something. It's not anything to worry about. Now, if it is lots of chasing and biting and (trying) to spray each other, you may want to think about separating them.

Here I have three rooms of chins. In each room I have cages of males together with females in the same room. They rarely ever fight and most of the time if the boys do fight it is because of a male that cannot be housed with other chins...actually, the same goes for females!

If you see fur pulling, biting or very aggressive behavior, you need to separate the boys right away.

They are actually fighting the ebony will bite the standard and he will chase him all over the cage even when the standard is at the bottom sleeping the ebony will go go find him and chase him. The standard is missing alot of fur on his butt and his ears have a alot of bite marks on them and he wont let me touch it at all but it wont stand up like its suppose to. i guess my violet male was trying to protect the standard because he got bite marks on his ear too?

Agree with Susan...once blood is drawn, you must separate them ASAP!!! Or, risk possibly coming home to a dead chin. :(

Pull the bully/abuser and house him alone.

Anytime you have multiple chins, even siblings, together in a cage, you must have an emergency cage on hand to separate them in case they start fighting. It can happen at any time, even after years spent happily together.

Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience.

Ok thank yall for the advice! Susan i think its my ebony male because when i was weighing them the other day he was chasing the poor standard around the cage then when i took the standard out the ebony starting making a noise. It was like a mix between a bark and chattering. He still tried to fight the standard through the bars? So i just put the standard and violet in their own cage. I figure the violet was trying to protect the standard because when i put them in their own cage the violet actually pushed the standard in the corner and started barking when i stuck my hand in their. After i pulled my hand out
they just went to another corner, cuddled up and went to sleep so im pretty sure its the ebony starting the fights. I also moved my female to another room just in case she is in heat. Thank you all for your help.

Alright I have a question... So I have had a 1 1/2 yr old female chin for about 4 months. [her name is Kitty]. This weekend I am picking up two 7 yr old male chins [Ezra and Thor from a shelter.... Now I am told that the boys are cage mates and can not be separated.. I am okay with this, but I fear what will happen when Kitty meets them... she is already a lil hyper and the males are chill, but i don't want her to attack them or the boys fighting because of her or something... any advice?

Alright I have a question... So I have had a 1 1/2 yr old female chin for about 4 months. [her name is Kitty]. This weekend I am picking up two 7 yr old male chins [Ezra and Thor from a shelter.... Now I am told that the boys are cage mates and can not be separated.. I am okay with this, but I fear what will happen when Kitty meets them... she is already a lil hyper and the males are chill, but i don't want her to attack them or the boys fighting because of her or something... any advice?

I hope you have a separate cage for them. Housing two males with your female is a bad idea. Not only is she almost guaranteed to get pregnant, but the males probably will start fighting over her. Or maybe even with her. Either way, it could lead to very bad outcomes.

You might be better off not introducing them to each other to begin with. Less likely that something could go wrong.

--

My personal chins.
I have 3 girls in one cage and two males in another cage next to them. With enough space in between to make sure nothing happens. However my daddy chin will start having seizures if he sees his mama chin and he cant get to her. He just gets so overwhelmingly worked up that it hurts him. As a result, i have to have a large sheet of fleece between the cages. And i have to make sure they can never lay eyes on each other again :( I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem, but teasing a male might not be the best thing to do.

--

Obviously i take an extremely cautious side when it comes to things like this'

Unless she is spayed, there is absolutely no reason that she should be introduced to the two males. Male + Female = Baby

It sounds like you are getting the males from a rescue situation in which case I am assuming you know little to nothing about their background/pedigree in which case they should never be bred. Not sure about the female but if it is a similar situation the same is true for her.

Also, whenever bringing new chins home they should be quarantined for at least 30 days before being introduced into the same area as existing chins to prevent the spread of illness.

Latest posts

Back