advice for a major chewer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

i was going to get some fleece and cover kishi's ledges with fleece, since she chews on EVERYTHING she can get her jaws around(including my fingers!) i would like to know exactly what type of fleece and fastenings the people here who make snugglies and hammocks use, i need it to be safe if she decides she's gong to tear it up(which is very likely, she goes through a small box of 12 wood chews in a week, almost 2 a day, along with chewtubes hay and food)
any advice on what to use?

Last edited:
I'd maybe buy a hammock or something, see if she chews it up, then go from there. If she chews the fleece, you don't want it in the cage.

Is there a reason you want to cover her shelves? Why not put wood ones in there? It's better for her teeth that way. Besides, if she chews up the fleece you don't want that in her cage as she may be tempted to swallow it. Which could lead to impaction.

the wooden shelves were a second option, she has a couple, i could get more. i just was looking for something to make her shelves a bit more comfy, but i don't want her impacted from swallowing cloth, i also think i saw mats made from timmy hay? ihas anyone heard of those, i wanted to cover her ledges because she is clumsy and i see her bumping into them often.

I think it'd be easier, and safer to just go with wood shelves.

Yes, you can get mats to go on the shelves made out of grass and things but those won't last long especially with a chin that loves to chew!

al right , thanks guys, i'll pick up some new shelves this weekend, i want to get her some good long ones

al right , thanks guys, i'll pick up some new shelves this weekend, i want to get her some good long ones

You can make them yourself very inexpensively, even considering the cost of some hand tools and or power tools.

4x1 KD pine from your local home improvement store in 8' lengths runs a few dollars and makes a ton of perches. Go up to either 6x1 or 8x1 if you want larger platforms to lounge on.

A simple plastic miter box and hand saw will let you cut it to size and only costs a few bucks. A basic power drill will make installing mounting hardware much easier and avoids splitting the wood.

Latest posts

Back